Community members messages post repeatedly

I've installed the chat login here: http://www.supportforspecialneeds.com/live-chat

We're having several problems:
--People who are logged in via the site are having their posts repeat three times (with all the beeping that implies). This doesn't seem to be an issue for people logged in via Twitter (we haven't gotten the FB login to work yet). Weirdly if I log out and then log back in, the logs don't show the repeats although it keeps on beeping as if it's repeating.
--The beeping only works on some browsers. I have it working on Safari, my boss has it working on FF for Windows but it's not working on FF for Mac.
--I can't resize the window.
--There is a weird far indent on the first line, which makes it difficult to read.

Thanks for the help!
:slight_smile:
Dawn

• Philip John

Hiya!

People who are logged in via the site are having their posts repeat three times

Hmm, are they using the same browser? How about people who aren't logged in?

The beeping only works on some browsers. I have it working on Safari, my boss has it working on FF for Windows but it's not working on FF for Mac

Do you have the latest Flash plugin installed on all those browsers?

I can't resize the window.

Yep, there isn't that ability I'm afraid.

There is a weird far indent on the first line, which makes it difficult to read.

Can you provide a screenshot of that please?

Thanks!
    Phil

• Julia

Hi Phil --
    Re., the repeating items: I saw this when I was logged in on FF and my boss did, too, also on FF while logged in so I'm not sure if it's a FF issue or a login issue. I will test it again tonight.

Re., the beeping: Yes, latest flash installed on all systems. No beeping on my FF for Mac, yes beeping on my boss's FF for Windows, yes beeping on my Safari for Mac.

Re., the window resize, so that setting that's available when I create a page for chat is still in beta? Good to know.

I'm also attaching the screenshot but you are welcome to come and test the chat here:
    http://www.supportforspecialneeds.com/live-chat

Oops, edited to add that we have the latest versions of WordPress and BuddyPress.

Thanks for your help!

Dawn

• Philip John

Okay, thanks for all that!

I'm not seeing that chat load properly at all on Firefox (Win7). There are no errors but it might be a Javascript conflict, most likely from the theme so switching to Twenty Eleven temporarily will help rule that out.

Hmm not sure why the beeping wouldn't work just on FF Mac - I'll ask the developer if he thinks there's any reason why that might happen.

Didn't realise it was in-page, sorry. Yep, the dimensions settings aren't working for me either, so I'll ask the developer to look at that.

Ah - that's not actually an indent. See the attached screenshot which reveals what's there. For some reason the plugin is forcing that text to be white with the following CSS rules:

div.chat-wrap.avatar-enabled img.avatar, div.chat-wrap span.date, div.chat-wrap span.time, div.chat-wrap span.name {
    vertical-align: top !important;
    color: white !important;
    float: left !important;
    margin-right: 4px !important;
    margin-bottom: 0px !important;
    line-height: 1em !important;
    }

That doesn't seem right so I'll ask the developer to look at that, too.

Thanks!
    Phil

• Philip John

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.