Community: Would you cache a site for 1 sec per page savings?

This is a community question. Unless this site no longer really is about that anymore

But who here would worry about caching a site to only save 1 second of load time.

Example, with compression on (mod deflate) - and caching after load set, I see a 2.5 - 5.0 per page load depending on speed of connection (1.4mb page, which yes, needs to be optimized)

However it seems that currently my database is only adding a second or so to my queries. When i saved the source of my homepage. My site loaded in 1/2 the time.

So my database calls really arent that bad. I don't run a lot of widgets, etc... its just my damn headers.

But still - google has reported load times of 10 seconds for my users when my vps is running a little slow (and many are only slow DSL rural types of connections)

So - would you install a caching option. I do have multisite, and so if your answer is yes, got a recommendation for that?
(i dont want to waste all my space saving 400 pages of poorly optimized sites)

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hey there @in-mn

Personally i dislike caching although i can see the benefits of it if a lot of content doesn't change.

For a 1 second increase in speed i wouldn't bother for a 10 second delay i would be optimising everything else like images etc and seeing what else i could reduce before thinking about caching options.

But that's my own personal opinion.

Cheers Tom

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.