Comparisons and functionality of ecomm plugins for wordpress

my situation and trouble (question) is this;

I developed a hard goods product that we sell primarily through direct online and affiliates. I started with someone else managing a hosted ecom site for me many years ago. Then we went into development again for new designs and coming back out the gates. I have opted to use wordpress and an ecom theme to work with.

From what I can see, your marketpress seems the most complete. You guys seemed to want to do it all, but I’m not clear on some things and have some concerns.

1. I had some initial problems with marketpress installation and crashing my site, and I think it was because I still has the lite version on there deactivated but not deleted.

2. I have questions about my ecommerce payment gateway/service provider. I have an existing merchant accounts, and the gateway/provider is called “internet secure” and I understand they work with your plugin. Is this correct? I am looking into paypal as well of course. I’m not sure for reasons to use my own instead of or alongside paypal, why not just use paypal?

3. I looked into TheCartPress as well…they have a very intuitive logical setup process and on first glance looks much more complete with order management etc…does your plugin do all the same things? from a consumer standpoint it isn’t clear that you get all the bells and whistles that thecartpress has. Additionally , 1shoppingcart is something I’ve been looking at and seems to have a robust complete service. Please tell me why I made the right purchase with your product…so far with not going through everything yet (I want to make sure I’ve made a completely good choice before fully setting up), it seems like order flow management process, order status etc might be limited in your plugin???

4. I have quite a few associates that would like to affiliate sell. Is this what you are terming multisite? And if so is there an additional plugin you suggest to work alongside your plugin to manage this? I noticed a few affiliate plugins but they seem more for membership based type things.

5. I have three main products right now, so it isn’t complicated and the “Shopping cart” versus the buy now option isn’t that important. It’s usually one product only and get it done. I just want a very seamless and positive clear user purchase experience as our products are over $1000 the confidence must be high.

6. ? I don’t see an obvious selection for the consumer changing the currency. We are based in Canada, but would like it to be easy for an American to select USD and see the pricing then. Does that apply?

Thank you so much for your assistance.
Michael

• DavidM

Hi solostrength,

I'll take a look with you on these items inline.

1. I had some initial problems with marketpress installation and crashing my site, and I think it was because I still has the lite version on there deactivated but not deleted.

I'll take a closer look with you on that in your prior thread but I think that would be due to the Lite version also being installed. We'll have a look at that.

2. I have questions about my ecommerce payment gateway/service provider. I have an existing merchant accounts, and the gateway/provider is called “internet secure” and I understand they work with your plugin. Is this correct? I am looking into paypal as well of course. I’m not sure for reasons to use my own instead of or alongside paypal, why not just use paypal?

MarketPress does include PayPal Express support, though there's currently not an Internet Secure gateway. A developer could relatively easily code one up using the provided gateways as a base, a somewhat simple custom job.

Given the popularity of PayPal, it's generally totally acceptable to rely on just PayPal.

3. I looked into TheCartPress as well…they have a very intuitive logical setup process and on first glance looks much more complete with order management etc…does your plugin do all the same things? from a consumer standpoint it isn’t clear that you get all the bells and whistles that thecartpress has. Additionally , 1shoppingcart is something I’ve been looking at and seems to have a robust complete service. Please tell me why I made the right purchase with your product…so far with not going through everything yet (I want to make sure I’ve made a completely good choice before fully setting up), it seems like order flow management process, order status etc might be limited in your plugin???

We don't have any comparisons with other e-commerce software at this point, though we'll see what we might be able to do about that.

If there's anything specific you're looking for as far as the order management is concerned, we'll be happy to go through that in detail if you'll just let us know.

4. I have quite a few associates that would like to affiliate sell. Is this what you are terming multisite? And if so is there an additional plugin you suggest to work alongside your plugin to manage this? I noticed a few affiliate plugins but they seem more for membership based type things.

More extensive affiliate support with MarketPress is being looked at with our own Affiliate plugin. It can be used currently for stat tracking, though there's not any extensive integration surrounding purchase details.

There are others who have asked about this so it is being looked into.

5. I have three main products right now, so it isn’t complicated and the “Shopping cart” versus the buy now option isn’t that important. It’s usually one product only and get it done. I just want a very seamless and positive clear user purchase experience as our products are over $1000 the confidence must be high.

MarketPress does present a straight-forward and easy-to-use experience for users to make purchases. Especially if you're using just a single payment gateway, the purchase process is very quick and dead simple.

6. ? I don’t see an obvious selection for the consumer changing the currency. We are based in Canada, but would like it to be easy for an American to select USD and see the pricing then. Does that apply?

I believe that would depend somewhat on the payment gateways you're using. Could you let me know which those are?

Thanks!

-David

• solostrength

Thanks David,
    I was told by the merchant account provider that their Internet Secure does work with Marketpress. So i'll confirm this but if this is true, then am I to understand that Marketpress will allow for a real time change of currency and calculate related taxes etc? I was told by them that they process currencies the same as PayPal does. So I think I'll offer both our own processing and paypal website payments pro (along with express checkout). Covering all basis.

I'm happy to hear you have integration planned for your affiliate and membership programs to the marketpress program. Does this work at all currently? (as if if I wanted to run some xmas season affiliate banners will it work now? ) if not when are you planning to have this completed?

If I need assistance with the integration of internet secure with marketpress do you have a suggested developer you can point me to?

Finally (and forgive me if I haven't drilled down into the features yet or overlooked it) will this system allow for multi payments and pre-sales payments/orders, deposits etc?

Thank you in advance David.

• DavidM

Hi solostrength,

Sorry I missed your responses here, we haven't done any tests with that affiliate plugin ourselves, so we wouldn't really be able to comment on that. We're looking at some possibilities for integrating our Affiliate plugin with MarketPress as I previously mentioned, though it's currently limited to site-based stats, not per-product information.

MarketPress does have some e-commerce stats tracking possibilities using the Multisite Analytics plugin along with it, if that helps.

Not sure about Internet Secure as well, but I'm sure it could be integrated with MarketPress using the payment gateway API.

I'm afraid there's not a specific developer I could advise on for integrating Internet Secure, but the job boards and developer listing would be a great place to look into that.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Multi-payments and pre-sale order payments wouldn't be possible at this point with MarketPress, though those sound like some great ideas and we could have a look at those through the feature suggestion forum if you'll post them there.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.