Complete Private site, an easy way?

Hello Heroes!

So I am building a site for my classmates and teachers (back to "school" yeah!), and as for now, we're looking to make it ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY private.

- I've got a nifty theme installed, buddypress, and a whole bunch of WPMUDEV plugs.
- I've got Memberships 2 pro installed and running, and using the Activation Code Addon
- WPML, 2 languages
...Some other plugs I'll eventually use.

The thing is I am looking for an EASY way to make the site totally private "at a switch of a button", but we eventually might want to reveal parts of the site in a future (the blog, Homepage, registration?)... As of now, all is set-up towards that future possibility.

So I was wondering if there is indeed some "magical one button switch" to make everything private, without having to "manually" set membership privacy each time someone from the class posts a thing, or other new things are added to the site.

Currently, I have not spotted some alike feature in M2 pro (?), which again, would be a "make everything on the site current and future, totally private" for non registered members. Should I have to use some other plugin to achieve this? I've spotted a few of them, but I don't know if:
- They could potentially cause conflicts with my actual setup (M2Pro specifically)
- It would be a redundant use of plugins as M2 can achieve this...

...Sorry if I missed something in M2 pro that indeed achieves this, and thank you for your time awesomes!

Have a great one!

• Luís

Hi sergio ,

Hope you're doing well today!

If I understood well, a simple way to protect your entire site is enabling the URL Protection add-on from Membership 2 Pro.

1) Go to Membership 2 -> Add-ons and enable the "URL Protection";

2) Then, in Membership 2 -> Protection Rules -> URL Restrictions, add you homepage or your site address and click in "Protect this URL" .

That URL and all the child pages will be protected.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• sergio

Bondia Luis, moito obrigado! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was indeed suspecting that would be the way, but I am kind of "scared" because of the warning message of this feature! :sweat_smile: (not very familiar with M2 yet).

See, I am using SSL (that free SSL... dang forgot the name!) in all My URLS, External APIs (for Google Recaptchas, Snapshot + Google Drive destinations).. WPML + BuddyPress! etc... and honestly I'm scared as hell to enable this feature hahaha...

What do you thinK? Am I at risk of messing the site up if I start playing with the feature you mention?

Thanks again!

• sergio

Hello again Luis?

I am giving this feature a try. There is a couple things I would love you to clear out for me if possible...

- Can I just put the base URL so every single thing is private / protected on the site?
    - Does that account for any "child" / other pages even if they are not hierarchically defined in the WP Admin (defined as childs of an "n" page parent I mean)

I am trying to test this by inputting the base URL in the field to protect but nothing seems to happen. When I access via an incognito window I still can see everything on the site.

Thank you very much,

Cheers

• Luís

Hi sergio ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Regarding to your questions:

What do you thinK? Am I at risk of messing the site up if I start playing with the feature you mention?

Honestly, I am not seeing any issue with this and from what I searched, I didn't found any report regarding to this.

- Can I just put the base URL so every single thing is private / protected on the site?
    - Does that account for any "child" / other pages even if they are not hierarchically defined in the WP Admin (defined as childs of an "n" page parent I mean)

Right, if you the base site URL or homepage URL (yoursite.com) it should protect all the child pages too. This is not happening?

If yes, can you give us access to your admin panel, so we can check your issue?

If you don't already know, please, follow the link below, to see how enable the staff login:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

When you enable this option, please post again!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.