Complex Multisite environment question

The multisite implementation I am trying to develop is rather complex (I believe it is). It will be aggregating content from a global community of sites with a common interest. I will be attempting to pull posts from sites with a streaming gallery on the landing page and drill down to specifics based on inquiry of historical time frame, topic of interest, and/or location.

I have set up a series of tags that refer to those general topics. I am then planning to use the theme template plug-in to replicate tags for the use of the site holders, the site holders will have some locally or topic specific categories.

Question 1. I was told that I should plan to have limited categories but as many tags as I want. Any comments or suggestions?

Question 2. From the main site, I would like to stream site posts across a gallery and then have the ability to search for specifics based on tags. what should I plan for when pulling posts from the various sites.

Question 3: Any comments on architecture from a performance standpoint? It will be image intensive.

• aecnu

Greetings BobSgt,

Thank you for the great questions.

Question 1. I was told that I should plan to have limited categories but as many tags as I want. Any comments or suggestions?

Who was it that told you this? That way we can possibly get them in here to answer for this and be accountable for this statement.

Question 2. From the main site, I would like to stream site posts across a gallery and then have the ability to search for specifics based on tags. what should I plan for when pulling posts from the various sites.

I have no idea how this can be done or what you are referring to streaming site posts to a gallery. Granted I do not know everything and this is certainly intriguing but cannot get my head wrapped around how one would stream posts to a gallery to begin with. Do you have a script or plugin that does this?

Question 3: Any comments on architecture from a performance standpoint? It will be image intensive.

I have none at this time due to reasons mentioned immediately above, however once I have some answers on how i.e. scripts/plugins you plan to use I may be able to give some insight.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• BobSgt

Sorry to not be clear...If it was clear to me, I probably wouldn't be asking questions...

1. It was a presenter at WPPhilly. I do not remember the persons name. At any rate, are there any positives or negatives to consider in a tag vs. category decision?

2. I want to be able to try and have current posts displayed on the main sites landing page. With it being updated by the most recent posts as they come in. I believe this can be done as a gallery or an orbiter.
    see this theme for orbiter
    http://www.johnparris.com/basestation/

3. My architecture question is one of overhead for doing this type of on-going post updates and queries based on tags across many sites.

• aecnu

Greetings BobSgt,

Thank you for the additional clarification which is certainly appreciated.

1. It was a presenter at WPPhilly. I do not remember the persons name. At any rate, are there any positives or negatives to consider in a tag vs. category decision?

No problem and i understand - thank you for letting me know and using tags can truly be helpful when drilling down through a site if posts are indeed tagged applicably.

There are some cool ways to use tags including search:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=tags&sort=

And of course there is always the classic tag cloud.

2. I want to be able to try and have current posts displayed on the main sites landing page. With it being updated by the most recent posts as they come in. I believe this can be done as a gallery or an orbiter.

I would accomplish this using something like Recent Global Posts Feed plugin and then use the Autoblog plugin to post the feed to the main site ~or~ use something like WP RSS Fetcher ShortCode plugin to have a front page static post displaying the feed.

That should do the job for us (you and I) and let me know how it goes if you try it out.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.