Compressing and resizing still suggested post smushing

I've smushed all my images, even tried loading in smaller originals, but hummingbird is still telling me that I could further optimise our site by Compressing and resizing all the 600*600 images. No matter what I've tried I can't get that one size to compress. Help smushing hummingbirders please!

James Morris

Hello deb,

I hope you are well today.

Hummingbird sometimes gives this message if you are resizing your images in posts/pages using CSS or HTML hard set dimensions. For example: Say you have an image that is 600x600px, but your theme/slider/post/page code is resizing it to 300x300px. This can cause this message.

The way to check for this is to go to pages where you know you have larger images and check the post/page in the WordPress editor to see if the dimensions are being hard set with width and height parameters that are smaller than the actual image.

If you would like to enable Support Staff Login, I'd be happy to take a closer look and make sure everything is working correctly. You can learn how to grant WPMU DEV Support Access at the following link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please reply back here once you've enabled access so I will be notified.

Best regards,

James Morris

James Morris

Hello deb,

Just doing a quick inspection on your homepage, you have several images that are 600x600px or so and are being resized by either your theme or Visual Composer. See screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/a5rjxwJ1qkTsNlZuk9aLzhIemWp3aS

Your options with those are to just leave them as they are and ignore any notices about them. They're not massive images, so the performance impact is measurable, but not high. Or, you could replace those images with versions that are smaller.

The bigger issue at the moment is Hummingbird is not working correctly on your site. I suspect you have a plugin conflict that is causing issues with Hummingbird working properly. I cannot rescan. I've attempted to reset back to default in Hummingbird, but even then, nothing is working correctly in Hummingbird. This is almost always a plugin conflict that causes this.

I also noticed some inconsistencies in Smush Pro, like doing a re-check and it showing images that are available to be smushed, even though all images are smushed. Again, this points to a plugin conflict.

There's a couple troubleshooting steps I'd like you to try to see if we can narrow down the cause of this problem.

First, could you please run a plugin conflict test as outlined in the following article? This will eliminate the possibility of a conflict with another plugin. https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If that does not lead to a solution, could you please enable WP_DEBUG and provide us with the output of your debug.log file? This will help us determine you are encountering any errors on your site.

To enable WP_DEBUG, change the following line in your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

To this:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

After you've visited the pages that are causing you problems, please go to wp-content/ on your server via FTP and download the debug.log file to your local computer. Then, rename that file to debug.txt and attach it to your reply here so we can examine it further.

I look forward to seeing the results of your tests.

Best regards,

James Morris