Compression Not Working for HTML within Hummingbird

The compression feature for html is giving me the following error:

gzip is not working properly:

– Your server may not have the “deflate” module enabled (mod_deflate for Apache, ngx_http_gzip_module for NGINX)

– Another plugin may be interfering with the configuration

If re-checking and restarting does not resolve, please check with your host or open a support ticket with us.

I contacted the hosting company “HostRocket” and they checked and the “deflate” module is enabled.

I have turned off all plugins and no change in the error.

I have the same exact setup with testsite4.thinkbrightmarketing (the test site for this build) and don’t have any issues.

In addition, the minification on this site is conflicting in ways it did not on the test site. Not sure if there’s a separate conflict.

Access has been given.

Thank you in advance. I am hoping it’s a simple tweak, or issue.


  • Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

    Hello Estevan,

    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

    Yes, I could see this issue on your site. I made a plugin/theme conflict test but that did not helped either.

    As you said the Gzip compression is working fine on your other site with same setup. So, could you please go to your other site, open .htaccess file, copy the code for gzip compression and add it in this site .htaccess file replacing the existing one and then check if it makes any difference.

    One of our member having same issue and fixed it by using above method.

    Make sure you take backup of .htaccess file first before adding the content.

    Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

    Best Regards,


  • Estevan
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    So, the weird part is that my htaccess file for the “testsite4” doesn’t have the gzip code in it, plus it doesn’t give me the opportunity to “disable”. Very odd.

    I went ahead and added WP Super Cache as it provides some html compression to make up for the lost functionality. Potentially something that GoDaddy is doing on the server side for the test site, and Host Rocket is not on their end. Part of me also thinks that the conflict could be on their (host rockets) end.

    Thanks for the help,


Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.