Conditional Multi-Domain Options

Good Evening WPMUDEVers:

So, I am using pro sites and want site owners to be able to have domain mapping, as well as multi-domain options.

Here is my questions, with hypothetical facts:

- User1 creates a blog on my site, which is called, for example only, donuts.com. my site is a subdomain install, so user's site is: user1.donuts.com. so far so good.

-User1 now wishes to map his site to his own domain. Using domain mapping plugin, provided by my site, user maps his own site, called user1.com, over to user1.donuts.com. Now, people can find the site at both URLs, the mapped URL of user1.com, and the original URL at my site: user1.donuts.com.

-Here is the tricky part:

Let's say that my site has multi-domains.

For instance, donuts.com, and jellydonuts.com.

Now, the way I want it set up, is that everyone whose site is about jellydonuts (just imagine for a minute that there is some way to objectively verify this conditional criteria) is to have a multi-domain option: they can have their site at both donuts.com and jellydonuts.com, two domains that my site owns and provides. so, when our user1 registers on my site, if his blog is about jelly donuts, he will have the multi domain option of user1.donuts.com, and user1.jellydonuts.com.

if his site is about cream donuts, he will only have the option of user1.donuts.com. because his site is not about jelly donuts, he cannot use jellydonuts.com. there are no other domains provided by my site except for donuts.com and jellydonuts.com. there is no creamdonuts.com. but a cream donut is still a donut, so donuts.com is more than sufficient. it's only jelly donuts, my blogging obsession, that are so special that they get their own multi-domain treatment.

let's assume either complete honesty of those registering in providing the correct category of donuts on their site at time of registration, or, a moderated verification process. either way, assume that i can enforce the rule that if your site is not about jellydonuts, you cannot have that domain, and must use just donuts.com.

so, are there any conditional domain mapping options? how does this work? one problem i see is that when a person, let's say user2, who writes only about cream donuts, creates a user2.donuts.com domain, and is not entitled to a user2.jellydonuts.com domain, then the "user2" subdomain remains available at jellydonuts.com. a few days later, a person who actually does blog about jelly donuts, whose name is also user2, comes to register. but he cannot register user2.jellydonuts.com, because to do so would also require him to have user2.donuts.com, which is already taken by the first user2, our cream donuts blogger. so, even though the subdomain is available in jellydonuts.com, it is not also available in donuts.com and therefore cannot be used to register a subdomain to my site.

is that true?

when he goes to map the multi-domains, how does this work?

Is the domain mapping plugin set up to handle mapping to multi-domains?

does the multi-domain plugin have any conditional capabilities? [if user selection on register is jelly donuts, then give or assign to both domains; if not, then only allow user a single domain].

the hardest case to understand, for me at least: what happens when user1 has used multi-domain to have a site at both domains (i.e., he does write about jelly donuts), and then uses domain mapping. can he map his own domain to both of my domains? so then there would be 3 possibilities for arriving at his site: user1.com, user1.jellydonuts.com, and user1.donuts.com? am i understanding this correctly?

any help, ideas, and answers would be most appreciated. sorry if the question is disorganized or rambling. trying my best to present the problem.

thanks!!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @eblogger,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I have taken a look at this for you and out of the box, there isn't any conditionals like this.

For example, a user would sign up and use either jellydonuts.com or donuts,com and wouldn't have a blog at both even if they were blogging about jellydonuts,com.

So this would mean, that is user 1 came along and signed up for a blog at donuts.com user1.donuts.com, that would still leave user1.jellydonuts.com free for another user to sign up with.

Both users, user1.donuts.com and user1.jellydonuts.com could then using Domain Mapping, map their sub domain blog on your site to their own domain. Such as user1donuts.com and user1jellydonuts.com So their sites would now be accessible at user1.donuts.com and user1donuts.com, along with user1.jellydonuts.com and user1jellydonuts.com :slight_smile:

Hope that makes sense, I'm here to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• eblogger

thank you for taking the time to answer that.

so, what you have shown is that my understanding of the multi-domain plugin was fundamentally flawed. glad that you have corrected me and i can try to figure this out.

so, you are saying that it is **not** true that if you offer several domains, that the user optionally gets them all, or can get them all. rather, they can pick any one, and then do whatever other domain mapping they want to do, with the domain mapping plugin installed, with their own outside domain (or technically, at their option, several outside domains (or domains that they have purchased from my enom account)).

therefore, returning to my example, they can either pick donuts.com or jellydonuts.com at my site, at least with the domain mapping plugin.

now that i understand this, is there any way to limit who would be entitled to pick domains. i.e., all new sites are, by default, subs of donuts.com, but certain users, perhaps those who pay to upgrade, can have a choice to use either. is there any pro sites option to provide this function to a certain level. or a way using membership to have the user pay for (or otherwise be granted) the right to do this?

ok, well, for the foreseeable future, i must make a choice. my users will either be able to use domain A or domain B, and can map the domain as they wish. i need to figure out a way to make sure that, when given the choice of multi-domains, cream donuts people are not registering for jelly donuts! maybe the answer is to create two completely different MU installs. one with multi-domains installed and one without. based upon a response in the registration process, force cream donuts over to the donuts.com install for registration there (where there is no multi-domain option), while jelly writers will be free to pick either domain, at the current install where multi-domains is installed. however, the downside to that, if it were even possible, is that then you are managing two separately running networks instead of one big one. thanks again for taking up the issue. if i have stated anything else wrong, please correct me so that i can move forward.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @eblogger,

That's correct, they basically choose from one of the domains, multi-domains is designed to allow a end user to select from mulitple domains to setup their sub site at.

One way to do what you want is to use something like Gravity forms and have a conditional form that if they want/need cream donuts you can create that site from the network admin, as you could make creamdonuts private so not everyone can automatically use it, while jelly donut users can get their domain and setup straight away.

With Pro Sites, you can block off Domain Mapping for certain levels, but not Multi-domains at the moment :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.