Configuration problems with multi-domain

I'm hosted with Dreamhost, using a unique IP with a VPS for my domains/sites. I've successfully set up Multisite a few times now, and I am taking it to the next level with the multi-domain plugin.

From the dashboard, I've been successful setting up the additional parent domains that subdomains can be created from. And, I've successfully installed two - everything from the Sites and Domains in the dashboard looks good, and no evident errors displayed.

I try visiting the site I've created though, and I get Site Temporarily Unavailable, and the dashboard request returns "Not found"

Dreamhost has set up the wildcard dns for each domain I'm wanting to do this with, pointing it to the IP for my VPS.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Found a resolution?

Has successfully set up multi-domains on a Dreamhost account?

Thanks, Lee

• lee_down
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Okay, I'll walk you through best I can, what I did

I installed wordpress, activated multisite (I've done this a few times successfully now)

I set up the MU Domain Mapper. Set up the Network Settings, etc. in their sequence. Setup the sunrise.php in its appropriate place, etc.

Then I uploaded and unzipped the multi-domain plugin from within wordpress

I created subsites successfully and successfully mapped the new domains to the subs.

I identified the domains to be able to create via multi-site.

I created one and the option dropdown to select domain was active. It created the sub in the dashboard but when I vist the link, I get not found or bad http config

These subs would have been on onemancan.ca and omcsocial.ca where I tried launching the different branch

the domains onemancan.ca and omcsocial.ca had the wildcard setup - they all reside on the same server at the same unique IP

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lee_down,

Thank you for that walk through, it is certainly appreciated and helpful to figure out what is going on with this project.

In your walk through I found one critical part that you did not mention, and that is the special dm_sunrise.php file that must replace the sunrise.php file when Domain Mapping is used in combination with Multi-Domains.

This file dm_sunrise.php is included in the Multi-Domains files.

Can you please confirm that this has been done or not as we move forward to resolve this issue?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• lee_down

Okay, so replaced sunrise.php with the dm_sunrise.php

That left an error without renaming dm_sunrise.php to sunrise.php - so I renamed the file accordingly.

leedown.ca is top-level

omcsocial.ca
    omcsocial.com
    onemancan.ca

these three are children of leedown.ca and I want to branch off each of these

tobeyourbest.omcsocial.ca still doesn't work, and neither does
    tobeyourbest.onemancan.ca

And the wildcards for omcsocial.ca and onemancan.ca both point to the same IP address that leedown.ca resides on.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lee_down,

Great job on replacing sunrise.php with the renamed dm_sunrise.php which is absolutely correct usage.

The next thing I did was checked the domain http://tobeyourbest.omcsocial.ca/ and got a error id: "bad_httpd_conf" error.

And again http://tobeyourbest.onemancan.ca/ and found the same error.

In further testing I found that there are websites at omcsocial.ca and onemancan.ca and they should be showing me the same web site as that at leedown.ca

Are these domains already being used for other websites?

If that is true they they certainly cannot be used for Multi-Domains.

Please advise.

Cjheers, Joe

• lee_down

Oh... so I can't go like:

leedown.ca - it's own content
    |
    -------- onemancan.ca - it's own content

and create children from each branch?

Instead, all domains at the top-level point to a single blog install.

Am I understanding you correctly?

• lee_down

See the attached image -

These domains existed separately before. I'm bringing everything under one roof to simplify my management of all the sites I'm currently running.

And I have a community of 45K people on facebook I want to leverage by offering sites too, which I haven't even included -- unless we consider it another branch lower-down which is what I thought I would be able to do.

Keep branching. And why not? It's an ideal situation were we able to do it.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lee_down,

Thank you for your additional input and you are absolutely correct all domains at the top-level point to a single blog install though more accurately described as all domains at the top-level point to a single WordPress MultiSite install :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.