Configuration question regarding Pro-Sites & Membership plugin order of signup scenario

Hello Support!

I hope this finds you all doing well and looking forward to a great week!

OK, so I'm in the process of rebuilding one of my sites and focusing on signup-flow. I desperately want to find a solution to this idea I have in my head that's telling me how I need to build out my suite of multisite concepts.

I'm very familiar with the nuances of both the Pro-Sites & Membership plugin. I have read countless threads and I have had several conversations and questions centered around this dilemma. Please, when answering this question think it through for me and by all means, assume I understand the plugin's almost perfectly. I say this because I don't want a feeler question or stated reply that all of us here should consider common sense, knowing the plugins and their (non-integration).

With that said, here's what I'm thinking of doing and I need to know if it sounds like a good approach. I also would like any suggestions that might make this approach even more successful. I hope I can clearly articulate what I'm proposing...

I have long since decided that I need to have the best of both of these plugins available and working for my users and I have come to the conclusion that Membership first and Pro-Site second isn't the proper way. If I'm wrong please tell me and tell me why so I can get this done in short order.

Pro-Site first, Membership second...
When a new visitor decides to register on one of our community sites I want it setup so everyone doing so gets a basic, free subsite; everyone... This way I can have Pro-Sites handle the initial signup and registration. Now in a perfect world, when/if they upgraded their site or their membership access, the one would come with the other as a package... Not so with these two plugins, I understand that. So they... (newly registered visitors) won't be able to become a full-fledged member of our site until they have first registered and setup their free sub-site.

Only after this time, through the magic of user-role content control, (I will initially use a separate plugin to help), will they be able to see or sign-up for additional access to the main site's content and tools but if they want both an upgraded pro-site and higher-level main-site access it will be two separate purchases. A little messy but what the hey, I need to get this started somewhere...

If all of this sounds even remotely possible, what would be awesome is if we somehow had a way to automatically give the subscriber an upgrade coupon code for the other service. e.g. (If they upgrade to level two pro-site access they get a coupon for 100% off level two membership level).

Are you with me?

Some serious thought and consideration from a few of the brilliant minds here would be appreciated very much!

Thanks everyone and I look forward to your reply...

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @sdinvestor2k,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your detailed question.

I hope you don't if i want you to make some of the following points clear which are marked as bold.

When a new visitor decides to register on one of our community sites I want it setup so everyone doing so gets a basic, free subsite; everyone... This way I can have Pro-Sites handle the initial signup and registration. Now in a perfect world, when/if they upgraded their site or their membership access, the one would come with the other as a package... Not so with these two plugins, I understand that. So they... (newly registered visitors) won't be able to become a full-fledged member of our site until they have first registered and setup their free sub-site.

Only after this time, through the magic of user-role content control, (I will initially use a separate plugin to help), will they be able to see or sign-up for additional access to the main site's content and tools but if they want both an upgraded pro-site and higher-level main-site access it will be two separate purchases. A little messy but what the hey, I need to get this started somewhere...

Please advise.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• SD2k

the one would come with the other as a package... Not so with these two plugins, I understand that.

A member cannot purchase membership level three and automatically be assigned to prosites level two. My comment was meant to say that in a perfect world, after a new visitor registers on our site and gets their free pro site and then later purchases an upgraded pro site or a "membership access level" on the main site, the one (whichever they purchased) would come with the other... In A Perfect World...

Since the two plugins don't play together like that (which if I were a more experienced developer I would thing it should be possible to create some sort of a 'bridge' plugin) I'm left with trying to find an alternative.

Only after this time, through the magic of user-role content control, (I will initially use a separate plugin to help),

There are several other plugins out there that can limit access to a page based on the visitors 'user-role'. It could obviously also be done with Membership so either way. A new member/subscriber/registered user, would need to already be signed up (through pro-sites) before they would see the page where they could purchase premium content on the main-site.

All I'm basically alluding to or referring to is establishing a process that forces all new visitors who wish to become a registered user of the site to first register through 'pro-sites' which would give them their first sub-site and maybe even (with the new auto assign feature in membership) a basic membership level. This doesn't solve the problem of them having to purchase two separate types of products on our website if they want a pro-site upgrade as well as additional access to premium content on the main site but it at least would establish some kind of process for the user to have access to the system without creating any conflicts during the signup process...

I would also like it very much if your affiliate plugin was at least mufti-tier (3 levels), worked with WooCommerce, and would allow for dynamic pricing based on a members user-role.

Which opens up this thought...

Here's a very simple way to accomplish what I'm looking for...

What if you could have the price for each prosite level different for a given user-role?

Let's say I sign up for the access level 'Associate' and it has a custom "User-Role" associated with it called 'Associate'

Then...

On the Pro-Site plugin, if you had the custom 'User-Role' named "Associate", your price for a given pro-site level, (Let's Say Gold) would be $0.00. You would still have to 'sign-up' or 'activate' your prosite level, but it would just be free...

Do you see where I'm going with this. It seems to me there are several ways to go about this, including the creation of a page that is only visible to a specific membership level and on the page it listed the coupon code and the only pro-site level you could sign up for would be the one you have designated as available at that membership level...

It's late and I have been going for almost 48hrs straight now but I hope you get the picture of what I'm trying to do. I did something similar on my current site where I used user-tables and custom pages to make the process of signing up for a membership an easier process...

Thoughts?

Anyone else want to chime in?

Please read through everything in detail again and hopefully we can come up with a solution that makes sense and brings value to your members and to their potential subscribers...

Chow!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Sd,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your explanation here!

I'm curious why you want both Membership and Pro Sites on the same site instead of having membership setup on a subsite (ie. premium.domain.com)

This pretty much gets rid of any chance of conflict between the two plugins and allows the sign up process to flow nicely on the membership subsite and also the main site for pro sites sign ups.

Since the user database is shared across all sites - if you wanted to give a free beginner membership level to anyone who signed up for a subsite you could simply provide a link to the subscription within the welcome email for their subsite. or even in the dashboard of their new site.

The subscription button link is always the same no matter who the user is logged in, as long as you have that link and you send them to it, even from your main site, it will automatically subscribe them since they are logged in already.

As far as upgrading when a user upgrades their pro site level, you could have "private subscriptions" that are duplicates of the paid subscriptions, so if they pay for the upgraded pro sites level you can provide them with the link to the private (free) version of the upgraded membership level.

Or if they want to just pay for the upgraded membership level then they can visit the subscriptions page and pay for it.

How is this sounding so far? I have thought quite a bit about this myself. This has always been the best way I can think of making it work because using them both on the same site will likely just get messy.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this sd!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• SD2k

I'm curious why you want both Membership and Pro Sites on the same site instead of having membership setup on a subsite (ie. premium.domain.com)

The primary domain.com has been done as a multi-author magazine style site. We want contributors to have the option of setting up their own subsite from the primarydomain.com site. If the membership site was on a subdomain of the primarydomain it wouldn't have the same feel or function.

Thank you for your thoughts, I'm not sure if I'm more confused or if I understand what you have outlined or not.

At this point, no matter what solution I find, create, or come up with; it must all function from the main site.

Is what you described above coming from that perspective or from the perspective of setting up your membership site as a subsite?

Thank you!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

As both Membership and Pro sites both try to use different sign up pages, I'd recommend using BuddyPress. Which I see your using.

BuddyPress can then handle the membership and site signups, then you still have your Pro sites plan page.

So if someone wants to purchase a subscription, they'd just go to the page with the [subscriptions] shortcode on if that makes sense?

This would be if you used them both on the same site, or you could with Tyler's great workaround and use them on separate sites. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.