I'm looking for some guidance on configuring & tweaking the Edu-Clean theme. Wordpress version is 3.0.4 set to subdomain network mode. I'm not planning to use BuddyPress.
1) All authors and blogs will be set up by admin – Is it possible to remove the login box from the middle center of the main page? What about the sign-up for a blog option from the main colored band?
2) Is it possible to make “Latest News” scrape the latest say 6 or 7 posts from the most recently updated blogs? Using “Wordpress Featured Posts” and “WordPress MU Sitewide Tags Pages” set to “main blog” mode does not seem to work on Edu Clean, meanwhile these plugins were working exactly as advertised & intended on the default Wordpress 2010 theme and several others. Why is that? It seems that with Edu Clean, the latest posts from the sub-domain blogs never even make it into the /feed/ .
3) If the “Featured Block” is on “post mode”, it appears there can be only one category active to scrape posts from? That seems quite limiting, which is why I was thinking of using it in service mode, and implementing option 2 above (featured posts & sitewide tags plugins) to get latest posts regardless of category from sub blogs.
4) How do the thumbnails get created in the feature block when it is in post mode? Is this from the featured image option in the sub-domain blog’s posts? Or is some other method used?
5) Looking in the theme editor, it seems as though Edu Clean has options for 2 column and full width styles (Blog and News Page Template, Full Width Page Template), with 2 column being the default. How to switch between them?
6) For me, this is very minor, but I'm still curious - I never see Edu Clean as a child theme in my theme choices, despite the directory structure being correct, as faar as I can tell. Due to the way my host works, I can not upload via FTP (from hosting tech "WP files must be owned by Apache, meanwhile your FTP login uploads as a different owner), so all themes and plugins are installed via the WP admin interface - could this be the problem why no child theme shows up - Edu Clean was installed via WP admin / Themes / Install Themes by uploading the zip?
Any info, or links to a Edu Clean specific tutorial (not the generic install instructions found on the theme page) are appreciated...