Configure Appache / Satellite Servers work with WPMU Domain Mapping Plugin

Background: Our WPMU site resides on it's own VDS server.

In Domain Mapping Configuration:
Admin » Network Admin » Settings » Domain Mapping

The instructions say:
On here you will enter the IP address which your end users will see within their own websites admin panel. This doesn’t really affect anything, it is really only for cosmetic purposes to inform your end users which IP they must use.

My Question:
In the above, it says "this doesn't really affect anything - so I am unclear if it is possible to use different ip addresses for different network sites or if this is "just for cosmetic purposes",

If it is possible to use more than 1 ip address, can you please advise on how our server / ip addresses should be configured.

Our goal is to use the Domain mapping plugin - but associate each mapped network site with a unique ip address which is associated with a Satellite server.

Basically, configure Apache on the Satellite Servers, so that when domain searches terminate on Satellite Servers, the MYSQL look-up will be directed to the relevant files within our WPMU Network site (hosted on VDS server), rather than to MYSQL on localhost.

Any thoughts on approach are much appreciated.

Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings richard_morrison,

Thank you for the great question.

In the above, it says "this doesn't really affect anything - so I am unclear if it is possible to use different ip addresses for different network sites or if this is "just for cosmetic purposes",

This is certainly important because it ts the IP the end users are told to use when setting up their "A" record and if it is for one network and the other networks exist on a different IP - well it is not going to work because WordPress must resolve the DNS and if it is for a different installation on a different IP it will certainly not work.

Each separate instance/installation will need its own dedicated IP with one exception :smiley: Those using the Networks for WordPress plugin creating a network of networks.

Basically, configure Apache on the Satellite Servers, so that when domain searches terminate on Satellite Servers, the MYSQL look-up will be directed to the relevant files within our WPMU Network site (hosted on VDS server), rather than to MYSQL on localhost.

This will result a performance hit for the round trip needed to go to the database on the server. One reason why Go Daddy stinks so bad at WordPress, the remote MySQL server.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings richard_morrison,

Honest to goodness I do believe caching is a waste except in certain circumstances like if your host is throttling bandwidth or something.

What do you think about the possibility of using WP Super Cache on satellite servers - with a view towards storing the (updated) website page files on the satellite servers?

Caching never takes the place of true performance and what I do not understand is why this type of configuration? What would have someone configure this way at all?

However, I admit I have never tested to see how much the database calls would take when in a remote situation with WP Super cache in between.

Maybe a Database caching plugin perhaps? DB Cache Reloaded Fix plugin?

But it indeed has not yet been tested for WordPress 3.5 which can mean anything.

Please advise why you just don't go with performance hosting to begin with?

Cheers, Joe