configure single sign on for multiple wordpress sites and make it secure

We're trying to setup an intranet for our company. We have 2 separate wordpress site installs, and 2 different wordpress themes. How do I secure both sites, add single signon, so when they log in one, they can also be logged into the other? We may also add a 2 more themes in.. so also need to know the best way to set this up in general, and do we use membership plugin, or buddypress.. not sure of the difference.

• Patrick

Hi @Vea

Welcome to the forums!

How do I secure both sites, add single signon, so when they log in one, they can also be logged into the other?

This may help, but I haven't tested it as I have never had the need to :slight_smile:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/single-sign-on/

We may also add a 2 more themes in.. so also need to know the best way to set this up in general

Adding more themes would have no impact at all on login. Changing a theme simply changes how your content is laid out and presented on the front end of the site.

and do we use membership plugin, or buddypress.. not sure of the difference.

They are 2 completely different systems.

Membership is designed to enable you to create multiple access levels and subscriptions to restrict/grant access to your site content.

BuddyPress is designed to enable you to create as simple or as convoluted a social aspect on your site or network as you might need or want.

If you are setting up an intranet for your company and need to restrict access to certain areas or content for specific employee groups, then Membership could likely help you there.

You would only need BuddyPress if you want each employee to be able to create and maintain a personal profile, or perhaps enable the Groups feature so different departments in your company could have their own discussion/sharing areas, etc.

• Patrick

@Vea

is single sign on the same as Wordpress MU

No, those are 2 completely different concepts.

Single sign on refers to the capability of logging into one system, and being automatically logged into any number of other systems. This could be multiple installations of WordPress, or other systems like WHMCS.

WordPress MU (Multi User) is a term that referred to a seperate version of WordPress that enabled one to create a network of sites in the same install. Since version 3.0 of WordPress, it is no longer required to install a different package to enable a network; that functionality is built-in, and can be enabled by following the directions here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

• Vea

Hi Patrick, Thanks again. So I created the Network, and I will like to protect the content, and only access to people who we pre-setup in the account. I downloaded the membership plugin, that appears to let anyone register and access premium content for a fee. We don't want that. We want the ability to restrict access, but we only want people who we setup in our database to access it, we don't want people to have the option to register. Does membership plugin still work for that scenario, of should I be looking at a different plugin?

• Patrick

Hi again @Vea

Sure thing.

Membership does have its own registration process that overrides the built-in WordPress registration. So even if you have WP registration set to "No", Membership will still allow registration.

However, you can easily hide that fact from all users by setting your subscription plan(s) to Private. You could also include the Subscriptions page in negative rules of your access levels so they get redirected to your Protected Content page.

You could even go as far as deleting the Subscriptions page so that users who try to access it will get redirected to your 404 page... maybe not the best option, but it can be done :slight_smile:

You can also manually assign & modify subscriptions and/or access levels for any user.

• Patrick

Hi @Vea

Terribly sorry about the radio silence here. This topic appears to have dropped off my radar. :slight_frown:

Membership has been designed to function on a per-site basis only.

However, there is a constant that can be added to your wp-config.php file to enable network-admin settings that would apply to the entire network of sites. It should be deemed "experimental" as it doesn't always work as expected on all server configurations (and we have not as yet been able to determine what causes this erratic behavior).

define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', true );

That would remove the Membership settings from all sites (including the main site) and make those settings available only in the network-admin. But, as I mentioned, this may not function as expected on your install.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.