Configuring Apache for WordPress

If I were planning on making a VPS soley for wordpress… what apache setup would you use… I typically use easyapache since well… its easy lol

But just curious what modules or even preconfigured setup would be optimal for a wordpress server…. while keeping security in mind of course.

Thanks

• LCDist
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I was using 2.2.22 as I typically use easy apache (in cpanel) but if 2.4 is a lot better I have no problem upgrading to 2.4.. I think I just would have to do it manually as cpanel hasnt updated easy apache to support 2.4 yet

I just was using cpanel for the ease of its use.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings LCDist,

so you dont reccomend things like nginx, Varnish, and cloudflare?

Absolutely not. I have no idea why people use these when they cause so many problems with configurations and if they just had good hosting – my 8 core dual xeon dedicated server screams.

Not to mention configuration problems etc. Why add another link in the chain?

Nothing beats good hosting as the base of every great website :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

• LCDist
    • The Incredible Code Injector

and actually since you seem to know what your doing let me specify my plans a lil more for you… again Im not sure exactly how to use the phpinfo to do my own or if I just have to take that and go into easy apache etc and pick the modules… Im willing to learn just need to know where to start… but these are my plans for my current project.

Ill have a few VPS servers in the end that will do the following:

1.) Shared Hosting

—Aimed for School Age ppl learning how to write html and such so lots of em with nearly no resources since you dont need a lot to learn

—Then the run of the mill shared hosting

2.) WordPress Servers

—-at least 2 multi site servers for me, 1 for Ecommerce/marketpress and 1 to offer blogs

—-Then I want to offer shared hosting optimized for wordpress and multisite

Thats pretty much it lol I use whcms for billing so that would be on my primary site, which I think will also be the multisite blogging site.. Probably gonna use that domain name for all buisness

Would the setup you told me handle all of that do you think or would I want a diffrent setup for run of the mill shared hosting etc. I wanna make sure I do this right and the guy I normally have do my server side stuff had a heart attack so its just me now lol…. so time to learn about php I guess.

Thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings LCDist,

Unfortunately no, there is no way to easily copy my settings since other then adding then the important settings in the php.ini file i.e. memory_limit and max_execution_time

Due to the fact that they are all compiled into Apache i.e. ‘./configure’ ‘–disable-fileinfo’ ‘–disable-pdo’ ‘–enable-bcmath’ ‘–enable-calendar’ ‘–enable-ftp’ ‘–enable-gd-native-ttf’ ‘–enable-libxml’ ‘–enable-magic-quotes’ ‘–enable-mbstring’ ‘–enable-sockets’ ‘–enable-zip’ ‘–prefix=/usr’ ‘–with-curl=/opt/curlssl/’ ‘–with-freetype-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-gd’ ‘–with-imap=/opt/php_with_imap_client/’ ‘–with-imap-ssl=/usr’ ‘–with-jpeg-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-kerberos’ ‘–with-libdir=lib64’ ‘–with-libxml-dir=/opt/xml2/’ ‘–with-mcrypt=/opt/libmcrypt/’ ‘–with-mysql=/usr’ ‘–with-mysql-sock=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock’ ‘–with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config’ ‘–with-openssl=/usr’ ‘–with-openssl-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-pcre-regex=/opt/pcre’ ‘–with-pic’ ‘–with-png-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-xpm-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-zlib’ ‘–with-zlib-dir=/usr’

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.