Configuring CustomPress with Multi Series / Episodes Comic Site

Hi,

I am working on a client project. They have a comics site with with lot of series and parts / episodes. Here is a e.g. work flow of how it looks like:

Series A
- Part 1
-- Toon Picture 001
:
-- Toon Picture 060
- Part 2
-- Toon Picture 001
:
-- Toon Picture 050

Series B
- Part 1
-- Toon Picture 001
:
-- Toon Picture 045
- Part 2
-- Toon Picture 001
:
-- Toon Picture 040

and so on ....

What I need to do is organise the posts into Series, then Parts / Episodes and finally the toon images.

What I have in mind is use create Custom Post Types for Series which will then club all the series.

For Parts / Episodes, I can create categories in respective Custom Post Types.

For Toon Pictures, I can create posts in respective Custom Post Type and Category.

The biggest problem, how do I implement this on the front-end so that the people can choose the series, then part / episode and finally start browsing the images. Something like a multi level drop down box.

Besides, the Previous / Next links should be valid for the respective category. For e.g. if a visitor is browsing the last post in the category, then won't see the Next link and vice-versa.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alok

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey Alok,

I think this can be easily done without much complications. Lets start from the insides.

Series A
    - Part 1
    -- Toon Picture 001
    :
    -- Toon Picture 060

- Toon Picture 001 will be a normal WordPress POST
    - Part 1 will be a sub-category
    - Series A will be a category.

Part 1 will have its own archive page that shows only the posts of Part 1, ie Toon Pictures 1 to 60.

You could use a plugin like the Series plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/series/ (read the readme.html in the theme zip file) to show posts from a single series using short codes or template tags.

Well, the plugin is just a custom taxonomy, you won't probably need that anyway. Posts of the same sub-category are the ones in the same series, showing a list of the same sub-category would be all the posts of that series :slight_smile:

I hope this helps, what do you think?

• Alok Sharma

Thanks Arun,

Looks like my I did not consider the other side of the front-end.

The client wants to display archives starting from the home page that lists all the series - parts. For e.g.: this is how the index page would show the posts as:-

Series B - Part 4

Series A - Part 3

Series B - Part 3

Series B - Part 2

Series A - Part 2

Series B - Part 1

Series A - Part 1

So I think I need to create them as posts in the default Post Type and categorize them as series. Then inside these posts, I can place a link to the actual post that displays the toon images.

I am sure someone might have written a plugin for this.

• Alok Sharma

Hi Aurn,

Extremely sorry for my late reply.

Let me explain you everything from scratch.

Lets assume that I have a collection of 50 episodes of different comics. Now these 50 episodes are a combination of different series and parts.

For e.g.

Spider man Series - Part 10 - 17 May 2012

Super man Series - Part 9 - 7 May 2012

Spider man Series - Part 9 - 25 April 2012

Spider man Series - Part 8 - 7 April 2012

Ben 10 Series - Part 5 - 14 March 2012

:

:

:

and so on ...

Though these are episodes belonging to different group or series, they will still all appear on the home page in chronological order. They will have a title, some description and a featured image. These episodes are just posts like any other ordinary posts.

Now each episode might have 30, 40 or 50 toon images. I will have to create each image as a single post and tag or group it with the respective episode so that people can click Prev / Next button to browse these images.

The biggest problem comes here. How do I create posts for each image such that they do not display on the home page. They can be accessed only if a visitor clicks some episode to browse them.

I hope you are getting my point.

Thanks,

Alok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.