Conflict between pages and menus ?

Working with the bp-fun theme (although I think the same happens with bp-social) I've been adding some content in pages which then appear (automatically) in the navigation bar along the top, as expected.

I then added the directory plug-in at its own site mysite/directory/ with its own theme.

For my main site to then link to it, I add a custom menu within the bp-fun theme options to display in the main navigation area.

I go to the site, and sure enough, there it is. But all-but the buddypress navigation items have disappeared (ie there are only home, activity, community and directory), all the pages I've added that were previously there have gone.

If I delete the custom menu my pages re-appear in the navigation bar.

So is it one or the other?

Design feature or bug?

Can I have both, please?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello terraling,

The custom menu system really would be your best option and yes, you can definitely add your custom pages in there as well. In fact, you can customize their locations in the menus if you want. The following page explains it in a bit more detail.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide

You may also want to check the option "Automatically add new top-level pages". That will cause the menu to act similar to the way it worked when you were previously creating pages and they automatically were added in.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything that needs clarifying! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

• terraling
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Great, thank you David.

I dumbly thought the custom menus were part of the bp-social and bp-fun themes rather than an integral part of wordpress, so I think I've got a handle on it now okay.

I just need to dig into the themes to see how the handle displaying the buddypress-specific navigation items, but I think I'm up to that.

Thanks again...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.