Conflict with J&E and Javo Directory

Hi,

The plugin has been having some serious conflicts with the theme I have running and, needless to say, I won't be changing my theme.

I've eliminated all other issues - other plugin conflicts etc. Even the WPMU dashboard works ok and causes no issues. But the J&E plugin (particularly, the job upload form) does not function with my theme (works ok with twentyfourteen). Not only that, but some of my theme's features completely stop working when J&E is activated.

I'm using the Javo Directory theme. On the job upload form, I'll see spinning circles at the right end of each form element (suggesting it's waiting on something to load). Additionally, the date picker does not come up when you click in that field, the "add image" button does nothing and the "publish" submit button also does not function.

On the other side, my grid/masonry features from the theme will not display when J&E is activated.

I'm really hoping these issues can be resolved quickly and smoothly.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Arash

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

It does sound like there is definitely some scripts conflicting. However, it would really help if you could provide a link to a publicly accessible page where we can inspect stuff in browser console.

If that is not possible, we would need a copy of your theme to test with. As it is a premium theme (and I personally do not have a copy of it), can you please post a copy of your theme to Dropbox, or any other file sharing service that you may use.

Then send a link to it via our secure contact form here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Please be sure to select "I have a different question" from the options, and use the following as the subject line so it gets routed to my inbox:
    Attn: Patrick Cohen

Thanks!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there @Arash

I hope you're well today!

Thanks for sending over a copy of your theme.

I just installed it on a test site and immediately see the issues you have described. However, I can find no clues as to why or what may be conflicting.

I'm gonna need to call in some bigger guns on this one, so I've asked our 2nd-level support team to drop in here to lend a hand.

Hang in there, we'll get this sorted out.

• Andrew
    • Flash Drive

Just my two cents, but I believe it's a combination of JS and CSS conflicts. Some styles are no longer functional when J&E is installed and the functionality of some scripts also get wrecked.

At least that's a start to eliminating the problem.

- Andrew

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @Arash,

I hope you are well today and many thanks for sharing the theme, which help me debug quickly :slight_smile:

I'm using the Javo Directory theme. On the job upload form, I'll see spinning circles at the right end of each form element (suggesting it's waiting on something to load). Additionally, the date picker does not come up when you click in that field, the "add image" button does nothing and the "publish" submit button also does not function.

This issue is come from the theme, they have an error javascript block in common.js, and that start from here, line 109 file common.js
    var scrollTop = this.$window.scrollTop();
    The variable this.$window is not defined, so it's null, and we call a function from a null variable => error.
    For fix that, we need to update to
    var scrollTop = $(window).scrollTop();
    That will fix the form, also the scroll function of the theme :slight_smile:

On the other side, my grid/masonry features from the theme will not display when J&E is activated.

I do a quick test with the theme and J&E, the place I think it is masony is on homepage, but that still work for me. Do you have any links for this issue?

I'm sorry for this inconvenience and many thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
    Hoang Ngo

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @Arash,

By the way, how can I get the jobs listing page to include thumbnails?

Currently now, we don't have any feature for this, but this is a nice add-on, I will consider this for future release :slight_smile:

Yah, if you get any other issues about the conflict of J&E and the theme, please feel free to post here, so I can assist.

Best regards,
    Hoang Ngo

• Andrew
    • Flash Drive

Hi Hoang,

Just a few niggling but very important issues:

1. When using mobile browser, submenus of the main menu will not open up when you click on the top menu item (e.g. CATEGORIES, WRITE A REVIEW, ASK AN EXPERT)

2. Date picker in the job form pops up the calendar but I'm unable to select a date. Nothing happens when you click or tap on a date. This happens in desktop and mobile browsing.

3. The login modal no longer works. It flashes and then disappears.

Not an issue, but would love if you could provide me with the PHP code to grab the number of jobs a user has submitted. Was planning to dig around for it but hopefully you can make life easier for me. Will use it in each user's dashboard.

Thanks in advance.

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @Arash,

I hope you are well today.

1. When using mobile browser, submenus of the main menu will not open up when you click on the top menu item (e.g. CATEGORIES, WRITE A REVIEW, ASK AN EXPERT)

As you can see, when in full site, when you click, it will show a small form, this not the behaviour of J&E, it seem your site issue when working with mobile, I think better we should check with the theme supporter.

2. Date picker in the job form pops up the calendar but I'm unable to select a date. Nothing happens when you click or tap on a date. This happens in desktop and mobile browsing.

I want to check this on your site, just for sure, I need an admin account, so that will help me easier to trace things. Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP (in case I need to check some code)
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!.

3. The login modal no longer works. It flashes and then disappears.

It might be a conflict, can you please send me the link?

Not an issue, but would love if you could provide me with the PHP code to grab the number of jobs a user has submitted. Was planning to dig around for it but hopefully you can make life easier for me. Will use it in each user's dashboard.

Here you go
    JobsExperts_Core_Models_Job::instance()->get_all()
    This will query all the jobs model, you can check the class JobsExperts_Core_Models_Job for more information about the properties.

If you have any issues please don't hesitate to let us know so we can assist

Best regards,
    Hoang Ngo

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @Andrew,

I hope you are well today.

I've just sent you an email, also, let's continue for the discuss here. Also, I still need your ftp access, please send it to the email please.

Best regards,
    Hoang Ngo

• Andrew
    • Flash Drive

Hi @Hoang Ngo,

Based on your email, I was actually expecting to see a response here but nothing seems to have been posted.

Were you able to reproduce issue with sub-menus on mobile/touchscreen devices?

As it relates to the modal, I see where the "toggle-data" attribute is used to call it. Can you give an example of how code is used to call that element instead. I will code it in myself, I just need an example as a starting point.

I will do a screencast of the date-picker issue and send to you.

Reminder: Recent Job Posts widget also not functional.

Kind regards,
    Andrew

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @Andrew

Yep, I can also confirm that the fix in common.js proposed by @Hoang Ngo does indeed resolve the issue with the loading spinner on the input fields... and the popup forms on the add-an-expert page too. :slight_smile:

I also see the issue with not being able to pick a date on the add-a-job page. However, the menu font is not getting mysteriously changed on my test install.

That does appear to be a local issue.

So let's see what Hoang has to say when he gets back online, shall we?

:slight_smile:

• Andrew
    • Flash Drive

No Patrick, the fix for common.js no longer resolves ANY of the issues. They made changes to that file in the latest version. I uploaded a copy of the new theme version to Dropbox and shared with Hoang. Problems are now being passed off as a local issue or a theme issue. I'm going to ask you guys not to pass the buck. None of these issues were there prior to the installation of J&E. None of the other plugins cause these or any similar issues.

As for the reference to the data toggle being used to call the login modal, from everything I've read thus far online, this is generally how it's done, so I cannot and will not fault the theme developers for that issue.

I would hope that actually fixing these issues would make the J&E plugin better and also improve the knowledgebase of WPMU. I'm getting the sense that rather than actually correct problems, the aim is to find fault elsewhere.

As things stand, the Jobs & Experts plugin and the underlying code is the problem and I'm still hoping that yourself, @Hoang Ngo and others will rectify this.

Thank you.

New theme version - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/72aei7xo893iojp/AACeNouoqV0jujxUeHxrvRZHa?dl=0

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @Andrew,

I hope you are well today and sorry for the frustration.

As for the reference to the data toggle being used to call the login modal, from everything I've read thus far online, this is generally how it's done, so I cannot and will not fault the theme developers for that issue.

Actually, this issue is well reported. Usually we prefer to use the html data-attributes, because it very convenience. But, in wordpress screnario, themes/plugins can include every script file, and when we dev that, we need to prevent the conflict in minimum.

Toggle is on and off, so your theme include bootstrap.js, and when you click, that is on. But if both your theme, and J&E included bootstrap.js, so if you are using toggle, a click will be on and then, immediately off. I don't pass the ball, this is a potential issue and I believe the theme developer will glad to know it, as it an improvement too.

I also got and read your feedback very carefully, and I do appreciate that :smiley:

For now, the issue can be prevent, I will remove the include bootstrap, so the modal will work fine again (that why I expect the FTP access), but if any other plugins having bootstrap there again, the issue surely will come up.

Also, just sent you an email for clarify the FTP, I will put your thread in priority for now, so we will resolve it quickly :slight_smile:.

Best regards,
    Hoang Ngo

• Andrew
    • Flash Drive

Hey @Hoang Ngo, appreciate the effort. Unfortunately, the new update has taken us back to square one. If I have to choose, I prefer to have the mobile menus and modals working and let the user type in the date. So please, revert to previous update.

I'll also speak with the theme developers to hear what their suggestions are.

Many thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.