confused about architecture

I am confused by the architecture of using the Network, as opposed to using the Site Admin.
And I am wondering if it is why I am having trouble with the user registration/login thing that stopped working and trouble with settings up things like classifieds. For example, is classifieds supposed to be in the Network>content>plugins or is it supposed to be in the site plugins directory.

kentcountystar.com is my main site. (at least for now, later it will become a site under a regional network. but instead of confusing myself, I want to focus on getting KCS set up to learn how it all works). If I want to create a sub-site, say "SomeCity" - I'd do this in the Network dashboard, right? So doing so, does that create a whole new Admin acct for that city, to manage say specific posts coming into that city. And some plugins - like adserving might be managed by the Network Admin, but some by the Site Admin?

I don't even know what is the right question to ask because I am having trouble getting my head around it.

• Mason

Hiya,

For example, is classifieds supposed to be in the Network>content>plugins or is it supposed to be in the site plugins directory.

It can be activated either place. If you want each site to have a 'classifieds' option then you would network activate it. If you only want it to appear on one site, you would only activate it in that site's admin area.

If I want to create a sub-site, say "SomeCity" - I'd do this in the Network dashboard, right?

yep.

So doing so, does that create a whole new Admin acct for that city, to manage say specific posts coming into that city.

Yes again.

And some plugins - like adserving might be managed by the Network Admin, but some by the Site Admin?

Correct. Many can be activated in either place, but some that are meant specifically to run across the entire network can only be network activated.

I'd recommend adding a couple sites to your network and then playing around. It takes a bit of adjustment, but you'll begin to see how it works just by using it. The individual site admins are for the sites and the network admin covers the entire network.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks!