Confused about how to create pages and posts

I read the docs on created pages and posts, but I still cannot see how to do it. What I see in my dahsboard is not what is described in the docs. Has the process changed since the docs were updated?

I see now way to add any text other than the H1 text that shows when you create the page/post. So how do I type regular text in the page or post?

The body of the page/post has a white background, and I don't see the usual pencil (edit) icon in the upper right corner to change that. So how do I change it?

How do I add images to the page/post as there is nothing there but a space for text (which I currently can't figure how to add anything to. I can only edit the existing h1 text there when the page/post is created).

Please help with this.

UPDATE...

So it looks like if I click Schedule in the post/page creation page, that takes me to the regular UF editor where I can add content and change the background color.

Is that correct? If so, the docs need to be updated to reflect that more clearly.

Now, did I understand the docs correctly in that if we add any UF elements, they will not be present if we change themes? That makes sense to me, but I'm just checking.

What if we just edit the pages and posts in the regular wp editor, using any third party plugins we like? Will that display good in an UF theme?

Can we create a blog and page template in UF that sets the sidebar for certain page and post templates?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello robphat,

I hope you're having a nice day!

Our writers are working to deliver you an updated docs as soon as possible. I'm sure soon guides and instructions on new Upfront will be published. I apologize for the inconvenience.

That said, the User Interface of new Upfront differs a bit of its previous versions but adding pages/posts didn't change a lot. In order to add e.g. a new page. Once the page is added (I understand that you already figured out how to do this, right?) you will want to double-click inside that empty space and write your text. You'll also notice that each time you move to next line a small "image icon" appears to the right of the page. That's the tool that lets you add an image.

The same rules apply to posts.

I've created a small video on this for you. Take a look here please (around 1.10 minute I accidentally hit "reload", hence the message on screen, please ignore it):

http://screencast.com/t/MzPHgZtteqiP

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• robphat

I see the icon to insert an image now, but...

It only shows up after I hit enter after a line of text.

While there is a setting to make the image align left, I see no way to place it at the left of the line of text I just typed to get the camera icon to show up to insert the text.

The background of my page is white. I set the home page background to a darker color, but how to do I set the darker color as the background globally?

Can I make a page template that uses the same sidebar, so that I can make multiple pages with the same sidebar.

Sorry for all the questions, but right now, UpFront seems very good in some areas, but very confusing and overly difficult in others. I'm hoping to learn it will enough to keep my wpmudev account.

Please advise.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Robphat,

While there is a setting to make the image align left, I see no way to place it at the left of the line of text I just typed to get the camera icon to show up to insert the text.

When you're adding your image make sure that you select WP Default option and select image size, see first screenshot attached.
    After you have added the image align it to left and click on first line just next to image to add your text here, see second screenshot.

The background of my page is white. I set the home page background to a darker color, but how to do I set the darker color as the background globally?

While in Upfront editor click on Theme Settings, switch to Colors and change theme default colors, see third screenshot.

Can I make a page template that uses the same sidebar, so that I can make multiple pages with the same sidebar.

You can't create page templates but you can create new global region for your sidebar and now when you add it to new page it will pull content you have set for it.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello robphat!

if I make it a global region, doesn't it mean it will show up on every page?

Not automatically. It means that you will then be able to edit another page and again add a new sidebar region there but instead of "creating new" you will be able to select that global region from a list and it will pull all the content you added to it previously.

Take a look at the screenshot please and you'll notice that I'm adding a "mysidebarrreg" to my "Terms" page instead of creating new one. That's aforementioned global region that I created first on my homepage.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.