Confused about levels and negative rules

hello all,

I’m attempting my first configuration of Membership. My plan is pretty simple, but I’m not sure of the best way to do this.

Starting out, I’d like to have some downloadable e-books for registered members of the site. I want Guests (strangers) to be able to see the Navigation Link and to see the page, but not allow the download.

Members, of course, should be able to download the e-books through the shopping cart, so I can limit downloads to only 3 times or so. I am using the Marketplace premium plug-in.

It seems that I should set up Stranger as Guest, and don’t add any negative or positive rules. Then, in marketplace, designate each product as available only to members.

I do want the guests to see the products, and simply not be able to actually download them.

There will be other products they can buy.

I’m just confused how everything works together and how to set it all up :slight_smile:

Any advice on this?

• Jeffrey Beer
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Forgive my ignorance, but what are “download rules”, and where do I find them in the admin, and how do they integrate with membership and marketpress?

I think what it really needs is a way to not allow non-members to add a product to their cart. If could be done on a per-product level or category – all the free member’s products will be in the same parent category tree. For now it’s just a parent category, but will eventually need to be expanded to different types of download items.

• Jeffrey Beer

Are you talking about URL Groups? That’s all I can see. There’s nothing about “Download Rules” anywhere in Membership.

If in fact you are talking about “URL Groups”, when I click Add New, I see Group Name and Page URLs. What in the world goes there to allow members access to the free download MarketPress category? How do I add a “Page Url” that would accomplish my goals?

Can you please give me the information I need to do this?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya fusionx22,

There is download protection and URL Masking in membership. It’s at the bottom of the Membership>Options page.

You could also potentially use URL Groups if you’re looking to hide the URLs. Just add each URL you want to provide/block access to. You can also use RegEx in order to provide more intelligent rules:

http://www.cheatography.com/davechild/cheat-sheets/regular-expressions/ (handy cheat sheet)

Just remember that if you use any of these on any particular link you’ll want to set the dropdown to ‘yes’. You could, for example create one as follows:

http://domain.com/categories/MARKETPRESSCATEGORY/.+

Hope this helps. Thanks!

• Jeffrey Beer

Hello Mason,

I appreciate the reply, but still, I don’t see how that applies.

What I want to do is allow registered members to be able to download free e-books and PDFs through my store. Non-members should be able to see the offerings, but not be able to download them.

It’s an incentive to join.

I’ve already set up a masking url, and have no idea how that applies to the MarketPress shopping cart.

I created a URL group based on the store category, named Member E-Books, and set RegEx to Yes.

I added this url to the group:

http://www.blogsforexpats.com/digital-downloads/products/category/free-member-products/.+

I added that URL Group, by name, to the Protected Groups section of Options

I then added Downloads, Member E-Books to the Negative rules for Guests (my “strangers” group of users).

I can still browse to the category, add products to the cart, and check out, and receive my download links. I can download the product with no issues.

None of this seems to have any effect on the ability to add products to a cart or check out from the store for the Member’s Free E-Books.

I can still browse to that URL, see the product, and so on.

I’ve repeated the browse, add to cart, download, etc, process several times, clearing the browser cache, cookies, etc, each time.

BTW – I’m browsing and downloading, etc, using IE, while I’m logged into admin using Firefox so I can be sure there are no leftover cookies to confuse things.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.