confusion over site settings in multisite

I've been stumped over this for months and am wondering if its the source of strange behaviors between sites. Hoping that someone with more multisite experience can clear this up for me, as I've been unable to find answers elsewhere.

Here's the issue. In Network > Site Settings, I have five different sites using domain mapping. They each have a totally different list of settings. Some have home url fields, some don't. Some have blog description fields, others don't.

So one major question I hope to have solved -- why are the order and types of fields displayed totally different and does this have any larger impact on usability or functionality?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @peter_harris,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

That's quite interesting, the main site on the network should have the site_url and home_url options, they are stored in wp_options table.

But all sites should have Blog name and blog description, the blog description is used as the meta description by default for search engines, so without that it could impact on being indexed and overall SEO.

Is there anything common between the sites that don't have the blog description option?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• peter_harris
    • Syntax Hero

Hey Jack,

I'm not 100% sure, but am fairly certain that the top two sites were created using the Network admin, i.e. clicking Sites > Add New while the bottom two were created by the users going to wp-signup.php.

So in Sites > Add New there is a Site Title field which appears to be what creates the Blogname field.

To complicate this further, I just logged into Kelly Robinson's site and went to Settings > General and found an empty field called "tagline" at the top. I added something, thinking it might be for the Blog description, but it's not. (And after adding it, it doesn't show up anywhere in the Site Settings.)

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Peter,

This is pretty strange, I've checked on my own multisite and all the fields are the same in the same order.

Could you grant me support access please? You can do this via your network admin > WPMU DEV > support > support access and click "Grant Access".

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• peter_harris
    • Syntax Hero

Done. But here's another oddity... the WPMU DEV dashboard wasn't showing up. Went to plugins. Saw it was activated. Clicked Deactivate to turn it off. Then it turns on!

Makes me wonder if this is connected to why eNewsletter is not network activated but showing up in the netadminbar.

Ahh the bugs...

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @peter_harris,

Thanks for your patience on this, I'm afraid the access has expired, could you re-grant please? Sorry about the delay.

Do you happen to have a bullet point list of the bugs at all? That way maybe I can connect them up and find a root cause.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• peter_harris
    • Syntax Hero

Access granted. Here's list of a few random things:

* e-newsletter/WordPress SEO appear in network menu even though they are not network activated
    * site settings are different for all sites (possibly due to creating sites via wp-signup vs within the admin?)

Some of the other issues I was experiencing seem to have been browser based so that's it for now.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @peter_harris,

Hope you're well today and sorry about the delay on this.

I've been taking a look a look at this, those menu items showing are certainly strange, have you tried disabling Pretty Plugins in case that's causing it? That's about the only half logical thing I can see causing it, unless you have any custom code?

On the settings, when you setup a site from the admin, you don't have the blog description, you only have that if you signup from the front-end which seems to be the main difference here. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• peter_harris
    • Syntax Hero

Hey Jack,

Deactivating pretty plugins didn't have an effect on those menu items. This seems like a small issue, but it sort of worries me about long term problems. As I'm fairly new to multi-site (and my network is starting to grow) it becomes a point of concern if there are some underlying bugs that could turn into bigger problems later.

Or am I being too concerned?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Peter,

I don't think there's a cause for concern here, though if it was my site, I'd most probably be concerned too, not cause anything is majorly wrong, just I like everything perfect. :slight_smile:

If you wouldn't mind sending me the following, I'll check the DB to make sure all the values are correct.

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include cPanel details
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.