connecting multiple multisite & buddypress installs

My partners and I are looking to create a network of multisites and buddypress installs. In short, we need a master admin multisite that will contain within it both individual sites and other multisites with their own administrators.

The domain structure might look something like this:
myprimarydomain.com
one.myprimardomain.com
two.myprimarydomain.com
etc

yournetworkdomain1.com
one.yournetworkdomain1.com
two.yournetworkdomain1.com
etc

yournetworkdomain2.com
one.yournetworkdomain2.com
two.yournetworkdomain2.com
etc .....

We want members to be able to have closed network social networking (for a single network within the global network) while engaging with the global network through the same identity. I believe this might mean we're wanting to bind together a similar series of Buddypress installs - one for the network overall, and then an individual one for each multisite in the network, but I concede there may be better ways to solve the networking side of things (there may be regulatory reasons for maintaining silos of information on a specific domain).

The final step is that we are wanting to aggregate tagged blog content up to the primary domain from the entire network.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this!

• aecnu

Greetings Cameron Burgess,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Historically it is wise to build out theses networks one step at a time of course but of course you want the base to be right from the beginning for building upon.

The first step of course is establishing the first MultiSite network and using a plugin such as or similar to WP Multi Network plugin or Networks for WordPress plugin to manage the network of networks.

The final step is that we are wanting to aggregate tagged blog content up to the primary domain from the entire network.

Tag Feed plugin and Autoblog plugin may be the perfect combination as a solution to this portion of your network.

The Tag Feed plugin could be used to create feeds based on tags that would be pulled into the main site automatically using the Autoblog plugin.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings Cameron Burgess,

do you have a solution for the network of networks buddypress experience?

Personally and to date I have stayed away from Buddy Press due to the many anomalies and problems it seems to cause members and because I cannot get the robust support from Buddy Press that I do here on WPMU Dev that I experienced as a regular member.

Therefore I cannot offer valid information concerning this question other then what I offered above and I am a firm believer in the concept that no information is better then the wrong information.

or is that simply handled through the single integrated user base across the entire network

This is probably a very accurate statement and concept of how the network would be handled with the one integrated user base managed across the entire network. However, there seems to be exceptions to every rule to include using the plugins above for managing a network of networks - the users of one total independent network would not be integrated within another totally independent network though the plugin manages all the networks.

Are there any other questions you have regarding the subjects we have discussed in this thread?

Cheers, Joe

• Sean

Hi Joe,

+1 for a network of networks plugin from WPMUdev.

I would love to see a something directly from Wordpress or a plugin from WPMUdev to achieve the network of networks concept.

For something like this, we as developers need to be absolutely sure that it will be kept up to date.

I started designing my own websites as networks and breaking key topics into sub sites instead of sections of the same site. Now that I am seeing how much power there is with a network. Typically I use the subdomain structure for the network. I have started to use cPanel to break off domains and create whole new networks now instead of just sites. So the ability to manage multiple networks with something that will stay up to date would be FANTASTIC.

I think that developers here are exactly the type that want to do crazy forward thinking things like this. Providing such a plugin that is kept up to date would certainly attract new WPMUdev members. It would also tend to lock members in due to how mission critical such a plugin would be once it is being used.

Cheers,
    Sean

• aecnu

Greetings Cameron & Sean,

@Cameron - I personally believe it is a wise decision to not integrate Buddy press into your network considering all the tickets and problems I have seen regarding the Buddy Press plugin. Needless to say, to date I am not a fan of Buddy Press.

There are several plugins on WPMU Dev that would give you some of the features that Buddy Press offers, though I would need some specifics in which to make recommendations.

We should probably start a new thread for those of course.

@Sean - I would certainly be willing to put this in for a plugin recommendation, if you would please copy and paste your above statement into a new thread that would be fantastic.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev Members!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Cameron

Great feedback on BP - thanks. I've been in contact with a few different developers about this, and from what I'm hearing, BP is an awesome plugin, but requires a pretty thorough understanding in order to get it to work.

There don't seem to be that many developers who really know how to use it, which may very well be responsible for the number of support tickets being raised against it.

I've taken a look at using a completely separate system - social engine - in order to give me this sort of functionality in association with the 'network of networks', but am concerned that it's not a seamless solution, and with the various customisations required to get it to work I could be hanging a millstone around my neck.

I'm probably going to go ahead and implement with some of the basic BP functionality as a starting point, and slowly add more as the network evolves.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.