Connecting registration to Paypal

Hi,

WordPress 3.5.1
Membership 3.4.3.1
BuddyPress 1.6.4

URL http://everydaycook.co.uk

I am trying to set up a simple process where, when a new member signs up and provides their details, they are then taken to Paypal to make their payment and then reverted back to my site.

I have two Access levels and two two Subscriptions set up. One is named Visitors and is obviously as the title says. The other is for Members.
When a visitor clicks to sign up, they are taken to a page with the login details to provide.

First problem. The 'Enter your Details' form asks for username [fine], email [fine], and also they are asked to provide a password and pw confirmation. I would prefer that they are do not have the option to set their own password.

Second problem. Underneath this, is another prompt asking for a username again. [I think this may be from BuddyPress but cannot find a method of removing it.]

Ideally, I would like new users to provide a username, email, and location - nothing more. And then when they have signed up, an automated password email is sent to them.

Third problem. When a new user signs up and fills in the details to become a member, instead of being taken to a 'Subscribe' button, all of which is set up in the payment gateway, they receive a message stating the following:

You currently have a subscription for the Paying members subscription. If you wish to sign up a different subscription then you can do below

Underneath this is the 'visitors' subscribe button on display, but no members subscribe button is to be seen.

The newly signed up user receives notification by email of their already known username and password and can then sign in - without making a payment.

I have literally spent days and nights trying to set this up correctly, but all to reach only this point as described above.

Can anyone help me out with this please? I will gladly provide access to the site if you think you can sort it out.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this message.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @JamesICT, I hope you're well today!

There are LOTS of plugins involved here and each plugin has their its own configuration options... it's just a matter of configuring each one correctly.

Could you please post a list of all the plugins involved in your installation?

Awaiting your reply,
    Ari.

• JamesICT
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Ari,

Yes, there are lots of plugins. Some will not be used when I launch the site and I am hoping to hardcode some as well.

Here is the list [with descriptions].

Thank you for your help - it is very much appreciated.

Admin Management Xtended
    Extends admin functionalities by introducing: toggling post/page visibility inline, changing page order with drag'n'drop, inline category management, inline tag management, changing publication date inline, changing post slug inline, toggling comment status open/closed, hide draft posts, change media order, change media description inline, toggling link visibility, changing link categories

AG Custom Admin
    Hide or change items in admin panel. Customize buttons from admin menu. Colorize admin and login page with custom colors.

Akismet
    Used by millions, Akismet is quite possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from comment and trackback spam. It keeps your site protected from spam even while you sleep. To get started: 1) Click the "Activate" link to the left of this description, 2) Sign up for an Akismet API key, and 3) Go to your Akismet configuration page, and save your API key.

Apocalypse Meow
    A simple, light-weight collection of tools to help protect wp-admin, including password strength requirements and brute-force log-in prevention.

Author Bio Widget
    Displays basic author info.

Automessage
    This plugin allows emails to be scheduled and sent to new users.

AVH Extended Categories Widgets
    Replacement of the category widget to allow for greater customization of the category widget.

Ban Hammer
    This plugin prevent people from registering with any email you list.

bbPress
    bbPress is forum software with a twist from the creators of WordPress.

bbPress Admin Bar Addition
    This plugin adds useful admin links and resources for the bbPress 2.x Forum Plugin to the WordPress Toolbar / Admin Bar.

bbPress New Topic Notifications
    Send notification emails to specific users when a new bbPress topic is posted.

BP Extended Settings
    Extra configuration settings for BuddyPress Admins.

BP Group Control
    Evolving set of features that give site/group admins more control over groups

BP Menus
    Adds BuddyPress Menus to WordPress admin.

BP Profile Search
    Search BuddyPress extended profiles.

BuddyPress
    Social networking in a box. Build a social network for your company, school, sports team or niche community all based on the power and flexibility of WordPress.

BuddyPress Activity Plus
    A Facebook-style media sharing improvement for the activity box.

BuddyPress Facebook
    Let your members and groups show their Facebook Button on their profile page and group page.

BuddyPress FollowMe
    BP FollowMe Allow members to follow other members activity.

BuddyPress Forum Notifier
    Sends on-site notifications on forum subscriptions

BuddyPress Friends On-line (FOL)
    Plugin will display on your Friends page a new tab called Online with a list of currently online friends. Powered by WP-BP.com

BuddyPress Group-O-Matic
    Easily connect members to groups based on their profile fields

BuddyPress Group Calendar
    Adds event calendar functionality to Buddypress Groups.

BuddyPress Mass Messaging
    Allows sending of individual messages to all Buddypress users.

BuddyPress Media
    This plugin adds missing media rich features like photos, videosand audios uploading to BuddyPress which are essential if you are building social network, seriously!

BuddyPress Message Attachment
    This Buddypress plugin enables users to send attachements in private messages

BuddyPress MyMood
    Lets your BuddyPress member share there mood with there activity post.

Buddypress Notifications Manager
    Buddypress Notifications Manager : Manage the Buddypress Email Notifcations Settings for all users in One screen!.

BuddyPress Private Messages for Friends Only
    This plugin only allows friends and site administrators to send private messages on your BuddyPress site.

BuddyPress Toolbar
    This plugin adds useful admin links and resources for BuddyPress to the WordPress Toolbar / Admin Bar.

Code Snippets
    An easy, clean and simple way to add code snippets to your site. No need to edit to your theme's functions.php file again!

CubePoints
    CubePoints is a point management system for sites running on WordPress. Users can earn virtual credits on your site by posting comments, creating posts, or even by logging in each day! Install CubePoints and watch your visitor interaction soar by offering them points which could be used to view certain posts, exchange for downloads or even real items!

CubePoints Buddypress Integration
    Adds CubePoints support to Buddypress. Reward members using your BuddyPress portion of your website by giving them points and awards!

Custom Google Search
    This plugin replaces the default WordPress search with Google Custom Search and adds a Google Custom Search widget.

Display widgets
    Adds checkboxes to each widget to show or hide on site pages.

Easy Admin Color Schemes
    Easy Admin Color Schemes allows users to easily customize the look and feel of the administration interface for WordPress.

Easy Recipe Plus
    The Wordpress recipe plugin for non-geeks. EasyRecipe makes it easy to enter, format and print your recipes, as well as automagically doing all the geeky stuff needed for Google's Recipe View.

Exploit Scanner
    Scans your WordPress site for possible exploits.

Force Strong Passwords
    Forces users with executive capabilities to use something strong when updating their passwords.

Google+ Plugin
    Integrate with Google+ Pages and add the Google +1 button to your site so your visitors can vote to tell the world how great your site is!

Hyper Cache
    Hyper Cache is a cache system for WordPress to improve it's perfomances and save resources. Hyper Cache official page. To manually upgrade remember the sequence: deactivate, update, reactivate.

Image Archives
    Image Archives is a wordpress plugin that displays images from your published posts with a permalink back to the post that the image is connected to. It can also be used as a complete visual archive or gallery archive with several customizable settings.

Imsanity
    Imsanity stops insanely huge image uploads

Inbox Widget
    Adds a widget showing three most recent private messages to logged-in users on a site powered by BuddyPress.

jQuery Vertical Accordion Menu
    Creates vertical accordion menus from any Wordpress custom menu using jQuery. Add menus using either widgets or shortcodes. Features include - handles multiple levels, saved state using cookies and option of selecting "click" or "hover" events for triggering the menu.

Lazy Load
    Lazy load images to improve page load times. Uses jQuery.sonar to only load an image when it's visible in the viewport.

Limit Login Attempts
    Limit rate of login attempts, including by way of cookies, for each IP.

Add custom log in messages

Membership Premium
    The most powerful, easy to use and flexible membership plugin for WordPress, Multisite and BuddyPress sites available. Offer downloads, posts, pages, forums and more to paid members.

P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler)
    See which plugins are slowing down your site. Create a profile of your WordPress site's plugins' performance by measuring their impact on your site's load time.

Piklist
    A Framework for Building Powerful Websites with WordPress.

Really Simple Twitter Feed Widget
    Displays your public Twitter messages in the sidbar of your blog. Simply add your username and all your visitors can see your tweets!

Reveal IDs
    Reveals hidden IDs in Admin interface that have been removed with WordPress 2.5 (formerly known as Entry IDs in Manage Posts/Pages View for WP 2.5). See options page for information.

Simple History
    Get a log/history/audit log/version history of the changes made by users in WordPress.

Simplify Post Edit List
    Show only the author's posts in the edit list

Status
    Quickly post your status

Subscribe To Comments
    Allows readers to receive notifications of new comments that are posted to an entry. Based on version 1 from Scriptygoddess

Table of Contents Plus
    A powerful yet user friendly plugin that automatically creates a table of contents. Can also output a sitemap listing all pages and categories.

TDLC Birthdays
    This simple Buddypress Widget uses a Birthday field from Buddypress extended profile to display a list of upcoming birthdays of the user's friends. English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian and Spanish languages available.

UberMenu 2 - WordPress Mega Menu Plugin
    Create highly customizable Mega Menus through an easy-to-use WordPress Plugin. Please be sure to follow the installation instructions precisely.

Ultimate Facebook
    Easy Facebook integration: share your blog Recipes, autoRecipe to your wall and notes, login and registration integration, BuddyPress profiles support and more. Please, configure the plugin first.

Ultimate tag cloud widget
    This plugin aims to be the most configurable tag cloud widget out there, able to suit all your weird tag cloud needs.

User Activity
    Collects user activity data and makes it available via a tab under the Site Admin

Allows users to associate photos with their accounts by accessing their "Your Profile" page that default as Gravatar or WordPress Default image (from Discussion Page).

User Switching
    Instant switching between user accounts in WordPress

Weight Conversion Calculator
    Add a weight conversion calculator to your sidebar, pages or posts.

WordPress Admin Bar Improved
    A set of custom tweaks to the WordPress Admin Bar that was introduced in WP 3.1. Since version 3.3.5 of this plugin, it is only compatible with WP 3.3 or greater, due to API changes.

WordPress Chat
    Provides you with a fully featured chat area either in a Recipe, page or bottom corner of your site - once activated configure here and drop into a Recipe or page by clicking on the new chat icon in your Recipe/page editor.

WordPress Database Backup
    On-demand backup of your WordPress database. Navigate to Tools ? Backup to get started.

WordPress Gzip Compression
    Enables gzip-compression if the visitor's browser can handle it. This will speed up your WordPress website drastically and reduces bandwidth usage as well. Uses the PHP ob_gzhandler() callback.

WordPress Helpers
    Enhanced settings for WordPress. Located under TOOLS > HELPERS

WP-Polls
    Adds an AJAX poll system to your WordPress blog. You can easily include a poll into your WordPress's blog post/page. WP-Polls is extremely customizable via templates and css styles and there are tons of options for you to choose to ensure that WP-Polls runs the way you wanted. It now supports multiple selection of answers.

WP-RecentComments
    Show the recent comments in your WordPress sidebar.

WP Favorite Posts
    Allows users to add favorite posts. This plugin use cookies for saving data so unregistered users can favorite a post. Put <?php wpfp_link(); ?> where ever you want on a single post. Then create a page which includes that text : {{wp-favorite-posts}} That's it!

WP Help
    Administrators can create detailed, hierarchical documentation for the site's authors and editors, viewable in the WordPress admin.

WPMU DEV Dashboard
    Brings the power of WPMU DEV direct to you, it'll revolutionize how you use WordPress, activate now!

WP Post Notifier For All
    Notify all Wordpress users (and not only the admin) on post publishing. The notification is sent only one time after the first post publishing(not on every update).

WP to Twitter
    Posts a Tweet when you update your WordPress blog or post to your blogroll, using your chosen URL shortening service. Rich in features for customizing and promoting your Tweets.

Wysija Newsletters
    Create and send newsletters. Import and manage your lists. Add subscription forms in widgets, articles and pages. Wysija is a freemium plugin updated regularly with new features.

Yet Another Related Posts Plugin
    Returns a list of related entries based on a unique algorithm for display on your blog and RSS feeds. Now with Now with thumbnail support built-in!

• JamesICT

Hi Ari,

Yes I know. But, and I say but because, I have been extensively researching the impact of plugins used in WordPress, and even though it seems to be a hot topic for debate, there are many who say that the amount of plugins used has no bearing on load times etc.

The issue seems to be that some plugins are not well-coded and this WILL cause problems.

Anyway, that's another topic...

Can you see anything obvious that is causing my registration woes?

Would it help if you had access to my site to take a look from there?

Obviously, I really need to get this working, as it is integral to how the site will run.

Thanks very much for your continued help.

• aristath
    • Recruit

@JamesICT yes, it IS a long topic. I agree with you though. The issue is the quality of the plugins, not their quantity.

I wanted to try and replicate your installation, in order to see if there was a conflict somewhere, but obviously I can't do that, it would take me forever.

What you can try though, is deactivate ALL plugins except the membership plugin and test it again, activating each plugin one at a time. This will at least give us an idea about which plugins add the extra fields you need to remove.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• JamesICT

Hi Ari,

I have been deactivating plugins one-by-one for a day or so now and had no change.

It suddenly occurred to me that the extra field showing up in the registration process was in fact from BuddyPress.

I turned off the capability to use profiles in BuddyPress and this did remove the field.

Woohoo, I thought, as I felt the last few strands of hair on my head, but my joy was shortlived.

The problem still exists and after hitting the subscribe button, then filling in the registration details, I end up on a page with this message again:

You currently have a subscription for the Paying members subscription. If you wish to sign up a different subscription then you can do below.

I am now back to the point where I am thinking it must be something in the set up of Membership that is causing the issue. Do you agree?

I am at my wits end with this now.

If you [or anyone else] has any idea what might be causing this problem, please, please let me know.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @JamesICT!
    I'm sorry it took me so long to respond to this thread... I missed your last reply.

Could you please send me your superadmin credentials so that I can take a closer look?

Send an email to aristath at incsub dot com
    - include your login credentials
    - include a link to this thread so that I can track the issue better.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• JamesICT

Hello Ari,

Thank you for your offer to help.

However, I have wasted too much time [almost 2 weeks] trying to get Membership set up and working the way I needed,

I have finally had to abandon it and have begun to set up the site using an alternative members plugin instead.

I realise that this forum and its helpers do a great job volunteering their time, but while waiting and waiting for someone to actually do something to help, I have now fallen behind in my schedule.

Thank you anyway - much appreciated.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.