Contact Form hidden, even though it shouldn't be

I'm using shortcodes to protect certain content on public pages, but one type of content I'm not trying to protect are a few different contact forms generated by Contact Form 7. None of the pages(created before I installed memberships) are displaying the forms properly for unlogged users anymore, and I've triple checked that there aren't any naming conflicts.

I'm glad to see that content is being restricted, but how do I fix this? Also, I've disabled membership and the problem still persists.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ymousley,

Just to be sure we've got this ruled out to start with, when you say you disabled Membership, do you mean deactivating it, or disabling it at Membership > Membership?

And as far as displaying the forms properly, could you give us an idea, maybe a screenshot, of what you're seeing? Perhaps a link to see what's occurring?

Thanks,
    David

• ymousley
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I deactivated in the plugins menu - I'm using it on a single site install. I'll try to upload a screenshot later, but essentially I can see the contact form when I'm logged in, can't see anything when I'm logged out (and other people can't either).

I have a few shortcode names defined in membership (to protect certain content), none of which are anywhere close to the contact form shortcodes

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ymousley,

Thanks for the additional information. Just to be sure you know beforehand, you as Admin (or Super Admin on a multisite network) can see everything on the site regardless of the rules.

So when testing it out, it's a good idea to keep that in mind, and log in as users you create for the purpose of testing specific levels.

That said, have you tried logging in as users to see if things are displaying properly per those user's membership levels regardless of the contact form shortcode? I'm just curious if everything else is displaying correctly or if it's just the contact forms.

• ymousley
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

That's the thing - the contact form should be available to everyone - I didn't put it inside of any membership shortcodes or add any restrictions that would bar unlogged users from seeing it. I don't use shortcodes often - I usually prefer hard coding things in the template when possible - so I can only say that with Membership it killed the contact form shortcode from displaying to unlogged users.

I did have the settings to default unlogged users to a general profile, but the only restriction there was no access to the shortcodes I created through Membership.

Essentially, let's say I have a-content b-content and c-content as shortcodes. By default, unlogged members shouldn't be able to see anything wrapped in those shortcodes, but everything else should be visible.I'm going to wait for the weekend when my traffic is lower to test again, but that's how I tried to set things up and it protected not only a-content b-content shortcodes, but the contact form 7 shortcode as well.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ymousley,

First off, really sorry for the delay on this one, I somehow missed the latest response. Membership includes an added bit of code for Custom Form 7 compatibility so I imagine this might involve that.

Just to be sure though, do you by any chance have the shortcode visibility rule set to "Yes" so that shortcodes are visible by default, at Membership > Edit Options?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.