Contact form not working in Upfront

Hello,

I am building a website using upfront and the Contact Form is not working (see here: http://room4life.org/contact-us-2/ )

If I leave it in the default style nothing happens when info is submitted, and in the contact-form style a red line appears above the box, but still no email received.

I installed the Check email plugin and that did work.

Any help or advice on how to get it working is much appreciated.

Thanks

Jayne

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jayne!

I've accessed your site once again and I found the main culprit here. The "WP SMTP" plugin is blocking messages from being sent via contact form. Once I disabled it, I got "Message sent successfully" message and I believe you should now have my test message in your inbox.

I've enabled the plugin back again and immediately form stopped working.

That said, I think you may just want to keep the WP SMTP plugin disabled on your site and it should all work fine. However, in case you need this plugin to be enabled you may also want to get in touch with your server's tech support team. That's because most likely there are some strict "anti-spam/anti-abuse" options setup for STMP that doesn't allow sending messages that would include some "mixed" headers (senders different than account authentication details etc).

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Jayne

Hi Adam,

So this has brought me full circle to where I started, which is that the contact form says that the email was successful, but I do not receive anything. (I did not get your email from the contact form nor my own when I disable the plugin and tried)

When this happened to start with I googled the problem and the most likely culprit seemed to be that my host does not support PHP. (See http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-fix-wordpress-not-sending-email-issue/)

I asked my host's support team and they said :

"Damon.s: In order for a script to send mail successfully, the following requirements must be met:
    Damon.s: - a valid email address, which exists on the server (i.e. in cPanel >> Email Accounts) must be used in the script's From field;
    Damon.s: - proper SMTP authentication must be used by the script, using the aforementioned email account's login credentials for authenticating;
    Damon.s: - domain must be using our server for its mail and the script must localhost as the mail server.
    Damon.s: to send email through PHP mailing script on the site, you need to use in FROM field the email address, created in the cPanel, and turn on the SMTP authentication in the settings of the script.
    Damon.s:
    Damon.s: SMTP host: localhost / smtp.gmail.com
    Damon.s: SMTP port: 25 ?
    Damon.s: SMTP username: email account created in cPanel >> Email Accounts
    Damon.s: SMTP password: the account's respective password"
    So I downloaded and used the wp SMTP plugin to implement their instructions.

This made it so that when I tested emails (via the "check email" plugin) they worked (they don't come through without the WP SMTP plugin activated.)

So I guess my question is:

How do I implement SMTP and have the contact form work at the same time??

Thanks ever so much for your help!

Jayne

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jayne!

Thanks for your answer, this explains a bit regarding their mail transport policies.

I think though in such case I'll need to call our 2nd-line support wizards for help. That said, I've already forwarded the issue (including explanation you got from your host's support team) and hopefully they'll be able to lend as a hand.

Please note though that their response time may be a bit longer than mine here on support forum as they deal with a lot of complex issues on daily basis. That said, it would be great if you could keep an eye on this thread for further information and also possible questions from our 2nd-line team.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Jayne

Hi Adam,

I haven't heard anything from your guys at 2nd line support. I'm guessing this is a bit of a bigger problem than I had hoped.

I'm wondering if there is a work around - perhaps putting a jetpack contact form in instead? I say this rather naively as I haven't quite worked out if other plugins can still be used when using the upfront themes? If yes, how do I go about putting the jetpack form onto the page? I tried using the standard wordpress page editor and it didn't work. Is there a way to code it onto the page using the upfront editor?

Thanks again for your help!

Jayne

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jayne,

Apologies for the delay here, this indeed is a bit more complicated since it's specific to your server settings, SMTP should be something that should take care of this.
    We had our devs looking into this and they are considering adding SMTP into Upfront contact form.

You could try a workaround with Jetpack or some other contact form, however you will not be adding code directly in page content.
    What you need to do is go to any page in backend and add new Jetpack contact form, but don't save the page, we just need that shortcode that we can use.

You will have something like this:
    [contact-form][contact-field label='Name' type='name' required='1'/][contact-field label='Email' type='email' required='1'/][contact-field label='Website' type='url'/][contact-field label='Comment' type='textarea' required='1'/][/contact-form]

Next thing to do is go to your page where you want to show your contact form, open it in Upfront editor mode, add new Text element and in that element paste the shortcode.
    Save the changes and that should be it.

Let us know if this worked for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.