Contact Widget didn´t give the senders email

I did a test and when I received the email generated by the form it didn´t inform who sent it or who´s email. I received it as a "noreply@www.linkedbees.com" ?? how can I set it up for it to tell me who sent it from the site??

Thank You, donmcint

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya donmcint!

The widget uses the e-mail address entered into the "From" field as the from address in the e-mail it sends to the admin.

This should be the case unless your particular setup does not allow for the 'faking' of from addresses in such away.

Hope that clarifies for you!

Phil

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Donmcint,

How can I set it up to allow "fake" of from addresses??

Been a while since I've done it so I cannot be sure but I seem to remember it's a setting with PHP. It would be good to check with your hosting company on this.

Meanwhile, I'll ask some of the other guys if they can remember.

Phil

• Donald McIntyre
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Phil! This is the chat I had with Dreanhost:

David J.: Hello, my name is David. How can I help you today?

Donald: Hi David J! How can I enable my site to use a form that I have where the sender put his email and it is sent to me by his email address and not by the admin who is being showed as no-reply@www.linkedbees.com??

David J.: Hello, my name is David. How can I help you today?
    Donald: Hi David J! How can I enable my site to use a form that I have where the sender put his email and it is sent to me by his email address and not by the admin who is being showed as no-reply@www.linkedbees.com??
    David J.: I think we have a free tool for that. One second while I find the link...
    Donald: ok
    David J.: Ah, here it is... (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Formmail )
    Donald: it is a WPMU DEV widget for my wordpress/buddypress/multisite
    David J.: Check that out and see if that will do what you want.
    Donald: ok, thx!
    David J.: So you have something already installed to do this?
    Donald: yes its a widget
    Donald: you can see it at linkedbees.com
    David J.: OK, that's something completely different then.
    Donald: on the left menu
    Donald: you have to scroll down cause you are not registered
    David J.: If it's something already installed (a script/program) created by someone else you'd have to configure it within the parameters it supports. unfortunately I can't help with that.
    Donald: they said to talk to you, but I´ll tell them, they think it is a permission or a set-up at the host
    David J.: I don't think it's a problem on the host side.

They think its the widget!!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

You will need to ask Dreamhost if PHP is set to allow the From address to be set when using the mail() function.

All you're getting from David is widget-specific advice which doesn't relate to the actual cause of the problem, which is PHP.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.