contact widget with smtp – is it possible?

Sometime during the summer our contact plugin stopped working – no doubt a result of some update or a change at our host. We used Contact 7 and WP-SMTP-Mail. Although the contact form stopped working, all of our system mail continues to work fine. We also use “subscribe by email” and that works fine too.

Today, I returned to the contact problem. I downloaded th WPMU Contact Widget and activated it on a subsite. It didn’t work . “Mail not sent”.

I see forums all over the place discussing this issue, but with no clear, conclusive, easy-to-effect solution. Do we have to abandon SMTP to get a contact form to work?

• ntus
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the prompt reply Michael.

I have a safety-first question before I download and network activate.

I have wp-mail-smtp in use across the platform (blogs use “subscribe by email”:wink:. If I activate solely on a test-subsite, will this overwrite the network activated wp-mail-smtp? can I be certain, that the new plugin will be the plugin that is executed? (there is no way to deactivate an active plugin on a subsite).

Is there anything else that I should consider before I start my test?

• ntus
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Activated on a test subsite and sure enough, I have 2 email settings areas under “Settings”. Tried my contact 7 form and it didn’t work. Tried contact widget – and it WORKED! Interesting!

Now I’ve got to figure out the safest and least confusing way to implement this without messing up all of my users mail settings.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @ntus

I hope you are well today.

Glad to hear that contact widget is working.

Now I’ve got to figure out the safest and least confusing way to implement this without messing up all of my users mail settings.

Before doing this, I will recommend to keep a backup of entire network, so that if anything is messed up, you can just roll back.

Cheers

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.