Content Bug

Hi,

I've setted the membershio plugin and set up to strager with a negative rules that except him from seing two categories.

When I activate the plugin something strange is happening :

-> Any posts are displayed execpt the content of the article himself ( we can see title, tages, addthis etc.. but no content. It looks like he's ignoring the
"<div id="content"<?php if ($template == 'full') { echo " class=\"full-width\""; } ?>>"

part in any single.php files.

Any ideas ?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

If you are setting the plugins to only show the excerpt - but then the theme doesn't have a spot that shows the excerpt, but only the full content, then this would possibly happen.

Normally, on a single post you should be directed to your Protected Content page or a 404 (depending on your setup) Do you have a page setup for Protected Content under Membership>Options>Pages?

Let us know. Thanks!

• eightgr
    • Flash Drive

Hi!

I've setted the plugin to show only excerpt ( unless it's a defaut behaviour ) , but only to forbid stranger to see two categories. This is working, but when a strager try to see any other content it sees everything of the post, except everything that's in the content div.

I've setted up a protected content page, but doesn't show in this case.

Best

Patrice

• eightgr
    • Flash Drive

(Edit) I've not setted the plugin to show only excerpt ( unless it's a defaut behaviour ) , but only to forbid stranger to see two categories. When a stranger tries to see any other content it sees everything of the post, except everything that's in the content div.

I need to have a fix for this bug because at this time I can't use the plugin. I've tried different configuration for 'stranger' but it doesn't change this strange behaviour....

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @eightgr,

Do you have multiple categories assigned to those posts? If one is marked as positive and the other as negative you'll get mixed results such as this.

Are you using shortcodes to embed the content? If so, you may need to add them to the shortcode rules in Membership.

You say you've set the plugin to show only excerpt which is doable but not the "default" behavior. Where did you set this up? I want to make sure we're on the same page. Screenshots of your settings might be helpful here.

Thanks!

• eightgr
    • Flash Drive

I think I've found somthing weird. In the available shortcodes I can see this :

[[protectedcontent][/protectedcontent]]

was result to an old test made in the Lite version of the Membership plugin. Is there any way to remove it without deleting it from the database entry ?

If not where can I delete it ?

• eightgr
    • Flash Drive

Hi !

Any idea how to solve this, it still not working despite the update. Could it be a theme conflict? Anyone can help to solve this ? I'm trying to get this working since 4 days, would be helpful if I could PM to a staff member some credentials or share screen to show what's happening...

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @eightgr,

If you're not using that shortcode in any posts, it really shouldn't have an impact. Can you answer my other questions:
    Do you have multiple categories assigned to those posts?
    You say you've set the plugin to show only excerpt which is doable but not the "default" behavior. Where did you set this up?

Screenshots of your settings would be great. If your not comfortable posting them here you can send them to us via the contact form. Please mark it to my attention in the subject and provide a link to this thread for reference.

Thanks!

• eightgr
    • Flash Drive

Hi!

I don' have multiple categories posts. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I've not set the plugin to show only excerpt.

I've added a screenshot of my setting for the stranger member, a negative rules preventing them to see two categories ( there's nothing in these categories for now ).

That's all... And when I activate the plugin I can't see the content, whatever the category is ( second screenshot )

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Is there any way you could provide a link and a description of what we are not supposed to see as strangers?

It would help tremendously here I believe.

Have you tried protecting the <more> link?

The excerpts on your homepage will be controlled by your theme settings, not membership. The plugin will only protect access to the actual posts. It will not filter the display of them.

Best,

Kimberly

• eightgr
    • Flash Drive

Kimberly,

Stranger are supposed to see everything except the two protected categories. I don't protect the more tag.

The fact is that if I activate the plugin I no more see the content of posts, whatever the category is.

BEst

Patrice

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

I'm very sorry but your screenshot doesn't show much. and you say that there is no content to protect as you have nothing in those two categories.

Are the screenshots showing featured post images? or links?

I'm very sorry but I'm a bit lost on what you are actually trying to show.

Like I stated above, the plugin will not filter content displayed by the theme. Meaning that if you have a Related Posts section you will still be able to see the title and pic of the post, you just will not be able to access the actual post.

• eightgr
    • Flash Drive

Kimberley,

Whatever the setting of stranger is, when I turn the membership plugin here's a screenshot of what happens, whatever the category is.

No more content is showing, whatever the category is. The screenshot show an example of a post when the plugin is turned on. We only can see title / share / author and the related posts ( content is no more )

When it's off we can see the content, as in the second screenshot.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @eightgr,

One final thought would be to temporarily switch to the default twentyteleven theme and see what happens.

I looked at the theme developer's website and it looks like it's doing something specific to help with video display, correct? In other words, you don't embed the video in the post content area, but put the URL (or something similar) in a particular custom field. Is that correct?

If so, the process it's using is what's conflicting with Membership. If we can find out more about what it's doing we can hopefully help with a work-around for you.

Thanks!

• eightgr
    • Flash Drive

Hi!

Sadly, it happens whatever the theme is. I use Jwplayer for videos, but I don't use videos on every posts, but the bug occurs, whatever the post is.

I highly suspect a conflict with another plugin. I'll try to show you the whole process in a video capture, but I'm fighting with this since almost one week and hope to find a solution soon...

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

I noticed your urls have a random hashtag on the end. Are you running AddThis there?

Might be worth turning that off to test.

In fact to test for conflicts it would be worth disabling all plugins and using the default Twenty Eleven theme. If it works then reactivate one at time until the issue comes back.

That should tell you the conflict.

Please let me know how you get on.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.