Content Copier Not Copying Content to All Sites

Hello,
We have a multisite that contains several websites. Once a month, there is a newsletter blog post that is created and copied to all of the websites. Every month, there are a handful of sites that do not receive the copied content. No error messages are returned, we have discovered this issue on our own. Any clue what might be going on?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hey Trent Langley,

It's pretty hard to troubleshoot without checking your website, and it's configuration. Since you did mention the issue is specific to your website, have a you performed a plugin conflict test, as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart), and rule out whether any plugin is causing this issue.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

So the issue is only related to the newsletter blog post not being copied? Could you please mention these specific post, so if possible, we could try to create test copy in your multisite, and check how that goes.

To have a better idea about the issue please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• SDS
      • Flash Drive

Content copier is still not copying to "All Sites" when prompted to do so.

The work around for this while waiting for the issue to be resolved has been to individually copy to the sites that were not being copied to, but now that no longer works either. Even individually copying does not copy the newsletter posts to those sites.

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Is there a log created by the content copier plugin that I can check when the newsletter production happens in January? It looks like I can copy to the problematic sites individually, but not when selecting all sites. Maybe there is a database option I can look for?

I also have a related problem that might be associated with this issue. We recently created another site on the same multisite. After the master website was cloned, we noticed that the default WP user roles didn't copy over: admin, author, editor, etc. I had to add those manually in the database for that site.

I just provided access to the site. I will list the problematic domain names in the support access message box.

Thanks,
    Trent

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Trent,

Is there a log created by the content copier plugin that I can check when the newsletter production happens in January?

No, Copier does not have separate debug log file, but we can check what is happening with enabled debug mode in WordPress. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it. I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to dropbox like a service and paste link here.

I checked your settings and memory limits are looking fine - so I suspect there will be different errors that will point us what is causing this problem.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Trent Langley,

Thanks for providing the debug log. I could not find specific error there which could lead us to the reason behind this issue. I tried to copy a post in my main site to all my subsites and it was done without any issue. So clearly, this is your site specific issue.

Just to make sure that your server is not running out of memory, can you please try increasing your WordPress memory limit and try to copy that post? These two articles will give you idea regarding how you can do that:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/
    https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/increasing-the-wordpress-memory-limit/

Moreover, can you please confirm if it's okay that we create a test post on your site and try to copy that to all your multisites to investigate further? I'm asking this before trying because I don't know if your site is a live one or not, and if a test post will create any problem for your visitors or not.

Please confirm the result after increasing memory and also let us know if we are okay to do that test. We will jump in as soon as you confirm.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

I previously had the memory increase defined in the wp-config file, but I don't think the VPS was listening to it. I just spoke with the host chat rep, and I edited the phprc file, which is what Dreamhost uses instead of an ini file.

All sites on the Multisite are live, so a test post would not be ideal unless there is a quick and easy way to globally delete the post after the fact. Additionally, it would have to be a private post so that it won't visually impact all of the websites. What do you recommend?

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Trent Langley,

I do agree with you. In this type of situation, best way is to create a clone of your network and then do all testing there to find out the reason behind this issue. And when we will find the solution, we will then deploy the fix in your live site. What do you think?

For cloning your whole network, you can use the Pro version of the Duplicator plugin, or take manual backups of your files and database and restore on another location. You can get idea regarding manual backup from this article: https://www.sitepoint.com/manually-backup-your-wordpress-website/

Please let us know what you suggest. If it's possible for you to create a clone of your network, then please do it and let us know. We will jump in as soon as you confirm.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Trent,

I'm testing this on your staginig site and indeed, posts are not copied to one of the subsites when I check to copy to all subsites, but when I create a separate group with that one site only, then posts are copied without problem.
    Could you please send in the following via our secure contact form I would like to check more things https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password) -to staging site
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password) - to staging site
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Please conform here when you send those credentials

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Trent,

Unluckily debug.log is still now showing anything :slight_frown:
    Limit for max_execution_time is bit low on staging site, but i remember that on your live site you had it at higher value, so that would not be issue here.

I'm pinging our coding experts in Second Line Support - I believe they will be able to find reason for this issue.
    As soon they will check your site and give me feedback I'll update your thread.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Trent Langley,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I'm pinging one of the SLS developer, and will get back to you once I get an update regarding the status of this issue. Will keep you posted asap, we truly appreciate your patience, and working along with us on this. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Content copier is still not copying to "All Sites" when prompted to do so.

The work around for this while waiting for the issue to be resolved has been to individually copy to the sites that were not being copied to, but now that no longer works either. Even individually copying does not copy the newsletter posts to those sites.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Trent,

I'm sending message to Panos regrading issue with All Sites, that this is still not working.

As for the second issue - can you delete plugin and install it again, so it will not have anymore of changes in code and see if you will be able to copy those individually? Let me know.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Panos
    • SLS

Hi Trent Langley !

Sorry to hear it's still not working for you :slight_frown:

I tried again replicating in my test sites but didn't manage too. I have been inspecting the code but it's pretty straightforward. Could you please share what post type is it? If this is some custom post type ( eg newsletter or product ) and that post type is not registered in a specific subsite, then this post will not show up. Although it should still get inserted into the database.

I would need to have a try on your site, I have ftp and login details you have sent to Kasia and I see they are still working. I would need to know from which blog id you are trying to copy which post type (post, page, custom post type) so I can have a closer look on this.

Thanks!

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Panos,

It is a Newsletter in Posts. "Newsletter" Posts are available in all of the child sites so there should not be an issue. It works for all other child sites except for a about 15 sites.

The blog ID is 1 for what we need copied.

I have attached our steps of copying and a few examples of child sites that are not being copied. Hopefully this will help a little.

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Doesn't seem like my attachment above is working so here is the same information:

• Content Copier settings:
    o 1 - Select Action
    ? Copy Posts
    ? Click Next Step
    o 2 - Select Source
    ? Enter the Blog ID: 1
    ? Click Next Step
    o 3 - Select Items
    ? Select the title of the latest newsletter post
    ? Select all of the Additional Options on the left
    ? Click Add items to the list
    ? Click Next Step
    o 4 - Select Destinations
    ? Select All Sites
    ? Click Next Step
    o 5 - Finish
    ? You will see a progress bar and a message that reads “Your selected items have been copied.”
    ? The new post should now be on all of the customer websites.

Here is an example of SOME of the troubled child sites:

http://upstatefamilynutrition.com
    http://behealthy365.com
    http://core5health.com
    http://nutritionbycondition.com

• Panos
    • SLS

Hey Trant!

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

I would still need to have access to one of the blogs (subsites) that have this issue. I tried with the super admin also created a new user for blog id 32 but I got "You are temporarily locked out"

Could you please deactivate any security plugin temporarily?

Thanks!

• Panos
    • SLS

Hi Trent Langley !

Thanks for sending this info in! In future please don't post such private information on forum because it is public. I have removed the content and reset the password however I would recommend to delete that user you shared here.

Instead of posting such information here, you can send them privately through our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and assign it to the corresponding staff member in the form's subject. So to assign this to me you can add in subject:
    "Attn: Panos Lyrakis"
    and in the body include information you need to send and a link to get back here.

As for the site, it seems that this is not a sub site of your multisite. I tested by creating a mu-plugin where it would print a hidden <div> in admin footer. This hidden <div> was printed in main site and in the "nutritionbycondition" (blog id 63) subsite where I had access, but it was not printed on the one that you shared.

In my file that I attached in an older post on this thread, what I did was to SELECT only blogs that are public. For subsite 63, although it is not marked either as deleted, spam nor archived it wasn't marked as public either, so that specific blog would not be updated with the new post copied. I have now modified file :
    wp-content/plugins/multisite-content-copier/inc/ajax.php
    so it would exclude the deleted, archved and spam plugins, without checking if it is public.

This way the bolg_id 63 gets also updated with the new post copied.

Could you please do a test again and check your subsites that had this issue?

If they are still having issues, could you please share the blog_ids instead of urls, and also make sure that my user has access to these blogs?

Thanks!

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Panos,

I did not know another way to send you the information but I had planned to delete the user anyway. It was only given to you temporarily.

I am able to individually copy the posts to the troubled child sites now but it takes me at least 3 tries to do so. This is not productive at all. I wish we could figure out why it won't post to these sites the first time when posting to "All Sites".
    There is no issue with the rest of the child sites and the one's with the issue are set up the exact same way as the other ones that have no issues with the content copier.

• Panos
    • SLS

Hey Trent!

Did you try it? Still got issues :slight_frown:

Could you please visit our contact form :

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    Send in:Subject: "Attn: Panos Lyrakis"

In message content please include:

1. The blogs ids that the post is not copied. You can get the ids easily from network admin > Sites and hover over the links. You can see the id in the bottom depending on the browser:

2. The user name and password that has access to these blogs ( please test them to make sure that user has indeed access )
    3. Include link back to here for reference

I can monitor the post ids created on each blog (subsite) but I need to have access to the blogs too.

Thanks!

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Panos,

After further exploration, it seems NONE of the sites were copied to using the "All Sites" content copier. The few that I have individually copied (at least 3 times to get it to work) are the only child sites that have the latest newsletter post.

So the content copier itself is not working.

Looks like you were already made a Super Admin in the past so you should be able to get into any of the child sites.

• Panos
    • SLS

Hi Trent Langley ,

Looks like you were already made a Super Admin in the past so you should be able to get into any of the child sites.

Kasia informed me that she also couldn't access some subsites, for example the "drconnieamundson" subsite with blog id 15. You can change the user's (the one I am using to login) password and check on your own to verify this.

Some sites I checked and I have access I see that the post is copied.

Let me explain you the process of the copying. When starting the copy, it stores the blog ids and post ids to be copied. Then when that blog is visited the post ids will be copied to that blog. This is done in order to avoid server timeouts. I did have a look to 7-8 blogs and each time the post was copied successfully. For example you can see that post "WPMUDEV Copy 1" exists in the "test" subsite, or in the "occutesting" or the "wpmudevtest".

I need you to share the ids of the blogs that don't get the posts copied. I have explained in detail in a previous post how to get the id of a subsite.

Thanks!

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Trent,

I just want to update you that I deactivated and activated WPMU DEV on test account to get again those site ID that were in the support access. You can now deactivate it from your account and you will see WPMU DEV again.

Also I checked with Panos again those subsite that have mapped domains, we finally were able to get access to them and check if they have that test post copied and they did have it.
    We also checked the initial sites and they also have this test post.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Panos and Kasia,

I will get back with you about the blog ID's. It will take a bit to get all of them to you since there are close to 100.
    The one's you are looking at that have the postings are ones that I had to go through and post to individually, which as I explained before took AT LEAST 3 tries for each site to get it to actually copy.

I have been trying to go though individually and post to all 100+ sites since the content copier is not working for ALL Sites and I need that content on these child sites. This is a huge time eater and this issue is somehow not being resolved after months of speaking with your support... Pretty frustrating.

• Panos
    • SLS

Hi Trent Langley ,

I really understand your frustration here!

I'd like to have this resolved asap too. What I'm asking for is some cooperation to help us get this fixed :slight_smile:

You don't need to send us all the problematic blogs. Only one or two.

The one's you are looking at that have the postings are ones that I had to go through and post to individually

Each subsite I personally mentioned contains a copy of a new test post I created on blog id 1. The post title is "WPMUDEV Copy 1" so I can spot it easily while looking through each subsites' posts. You can also check the creation date of that post in the sub sites.

If you are going to do a new test, please use a different name in that post, so you can easily detect it.

Thanks!

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Kasia,

We copy "The Cholesterol Theory (July 2017)" post from sbnwebsites.com (Blog ID 1) to ALL other websites. Or that is what is suppose to happen but again, the content copier is not working.

The latest post we are speaking of, is most definitely on the sbnwebsites.com post page.

Please refer back to our comment from Tuesday, July 18th where I provided the exact steps and bog ID for our copying process.

• Panos
    • SLS

Hi SDS ,

We have been both (me and Kasia) checking in the sbnwebsites.sds.tools site where all posts we tested seemed to be copied to all sub sites. Could you please provide admin and ftp access to that site too so I could have a closer look there also?

Please do not share such private information here. You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:Subject: "Attn: Panos Lyrakis"

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

- link back to this thread for reference

Thanks!

• Panos
    • SLS

Hey SDS,

Thanks for sending this info in :slight_smile:

I went through several sites and I noticed that some of the sites with this issue were:
    test , site id: test
    support, site id: 101
    and
    occutesting, site id: 99

For some reason these sites were not set a public that's why they were failing. As in he staging site I changed the query in file
    wp-content/plugins/multisite-content-copier/inc/ajax.php
    in the mcc_insert_all_blogs_queue function from
    AND public = 1
    to

AND archived = 0
    AND spam = 0
    AND deleted = 0

I checked again and the post The Cholesterol Theory (July 2017) has been copied to the sites mentioned above.

Could you please do another test and let us know if it is now working for you too?

Thanks!

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Panos,

It looks like the July Post that we were having issues with have been copied to all of the websites.

We will be using the content copier for a new post here in about a week, so I will get back with you then to give you an update on if the issue is still there or has been resolved.

Thank you.

• SDS
    • Flash Drive

Hello Panos,

The content copier is again not working. Trying to copy a Newsletter Post for this month and it will not copy to the sub-sites like it should. Going through all the correct steps and it says it completes 100% and is copied to "All Sites" but no sub-sites have the new post.
    The content copier on the created post on the main site (sbnwebsites.com) thinks it has been copied as you can see in the attached screen shot.

This was working last month so I'm not sure why it has suddenly stopped again.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello SDS,

Can we test that on live site? We will probably need to debug this to check what is going on. I have checked credentials you have send us before, but those are for staging site and they are no longer working.
    Can you send them again like here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/content-copier-not-copying-content-to-all-sites#post-1204807 ? If we can test that on live site please send credentials to live site. If issue is also on staging, we can test it on staging.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.