Contest submission and writing prompts in a BuddyPress MU environment

I'm starting a social networking site for writers. I'm using Buddypress along with MU. I would like to create writing prompts and allow the members to submit posts in response to the prompts. Ideally a visitor should see the writing pompt and then see a list of the posts that were submitted in response to the writing prompt. What is is the best way to do this?

I was thinking that each member would have their own site, and that I could create a custom post for writing prompt or contest submission. I'm not clear on how the custom post would be connected with the writing prompt, and how visitors could see all the posts submitted for a particular writing prompt across the entire network.

Let me know if need any more details or clarification. Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Alexander

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Alex, great to see you here! :slight_smile:

Writing prompts, sounds interesting!

If you envisage each user submitting multiple prompts then a multisite would be ideal, but if they are only submitting one or two I suppose the question being begged to ask is would that be overkill?

I'm sure Alex you know much about these things from working at WP Engine (which is ace by the way) so please forgive me if I ever come of sounding patronising here. Not my intention :slight_smile:

If you went with one site to rule them all then you could consider something like Formidable Forms or Gravity Forms to allow submissions from the front end.

If you are dead set on multisite thats great to, but is there a reason you need a custom Post Type, can't you achieve the same thing with just using a default Post Type i.e. Post or do you have other plans for that?

Just thinking of saving you both time and effort.

Maybe you could just use what WordPress gives you, no extra plugins then. So the Writing Prompt is a normal Post. You then setup your theme and style it in such a way that you can use comments with them looking like.... erm... comments :slight_smile:

Comments could easily be the ideal way to get responses on your Writing Prompts. Then all you need to do are the cosmetics of the theme to make it look snazzy and cool. Of course change the word comments to something more suiting as well. :slight_smile:

If you need a new Post Type though, checkout our CustomPress:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress

You can create custom Post Types, fields, etc, etc. Saves you coding it all up then.

You could then use something like our Post Indexer, Search and similar plugins for users to find your content in a network:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/post-indexer

On the bottom of that page you will find a number of other plugins you might like for this project:

Anti-splog -Ultimate plugin and service to stop and kills splogs

Blogs Directory - fully search-able, avatar inclusive, automatic and rather good looking directory of all sites on your network

Global Site Search - provides global search across all sites on your network with ease

Global Site Tags - Displays global site tag for your entire network

Tag feed - Provides a single feed for each tag or category across an entire network.

Recent Global Posts Widget - Display latest posts from across your entire network - using a simple but powerful widget!

Recent Global Comments Feed - RSS feed of latest comments from across your entire network

Recent Global Posts Feed - RSS feed of latest posts from across your entire network

Recent Global Author Comments Feed - Provides a global feed of comments from a single author made across multiple sites on the network

Recent Global Comments Widget - Display latest comments from across your entire network - using a simple but powerful widget!

Reading over your post again here, something is saying to me you want to use one Post Type for the writing prompt and one for the responses... Maybe I'm misreading?

If this is the case then you might actually like to take a look at our Q&A plugin. It does this. Post Type for Questions and Post Type for Answers.

Keep in mind those are just words so it could be Writing Prompts and Responses. You could even rename that plugin to suit your needs perhaps? Maybe do a little cosmetic remodling to your tastes as well even?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/qa-wordpress-questions-and-answers-plugin

Hopefully this will be enough ideas for you to kick around. :slight_smile:

If you need anything else then pleas let me know.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.