Controlling use of categories in Classified

I'm testing Classified using Mamp before going live. If I have multi-layered hierarchies of classified, how to I ensure that advertsiers drill down to the correct level?

EG, Cars classified would go Cars> Porsche > 911 etc.
You wouldn't want advertisers clicking on 'Cars' at the topmost level. I'm trying to think ahead to when I create a custom search field for searching ads. and trying to figure wetheer sub-categories or Tags will be a better way

• PC

Hello there Neil,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Classifieds supports subcategories so you can use them as well and making people reach the right place should not be difficult.

You can use the below shortcode wherever you want to display the List of categories in a grid or list format :

[cf_list_categories style="grid"] or [cf_list_categories style="list"]

That will also show the subcategories and you can also hide empty subcategories via Classifieds >> Settings >> General >> Display options.

I'm trying to think ahead to when I create a custom search field for searching ads. and trying to figure wetheer sub-categories or Tags will be a better way

You can use either tags or subcategories as you find suitable. However a combination of both will always be better.

For example.

Cars >> Porsche >> 911
    Tags : Red

So if someone searches for Red Porsche 911 they will get a better result.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.