Controlling what can be on Wiki by Membership

I am trying to set up two wiki's on my site that can be accessed with different levels of membership. One can be viewed just by Client level as well as Consultants and the other can viewed only by Clients.

I read that I could use the Add URL group options with positive and negative rules, but the Wiki's don't seem to display the category in the URLs, http://501partners.com/501knowledge/data-export-best-practices/

How can I do this?

Thanks! Caroline

Tyler Postle

Hey Caroline,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

Are you wanting to hide the category or the wiki? You can hide several urls with one url group, so hide each wiki via:

domain.com/501knowledge/data-export-best-practices/

If you want to hide the subwikis too then use this:

domain.com/501knowledge/data-export-best-practices/(.+)

Make sure that regular expressions are set to "Yes"

Then you can also hide the category links as well:

domain.com/wiki/categories/testing/ if you don't want them seeing those archives.

Set that for each level and then only those levels will be able to visit their respective wiki's.

How does that sound Caroline? Let us know if you have any further questions!

All the best,
    Tyler

Caroline

Thank you for the reply, but the example I shared is a wiki page, not a category. The categories aren't showing in the URL, so I can't use them as a Group URL option to show everything under that sub. And the wiki naturally will be growing so I can't include all of the url's for each wiki.

Can you give me more information about the regular expressions and what they are?

I'm new to this, but I'm surprised that the two don't work together better - having to use this work around. I wish it would be included as an option like the page and post categories.

Thanks!

Tyler Postle

Hey Caroline,

Thanks for getting back to me

The regular expression I posted above:

domain.com/501knowledge/data-export-best-practices/(.+)

Should protect all urls after /data-export-best-practices/ and also including that url. So they won't be able to see the parent wiki or any of it's subs.

If it's placed in negative that is, if it's in positive then they will be able to see them all. That should work just as well as using categories I would think, unless I'm missing something here.

As for the "in" in the byline, do you have a category linked to that wiki?

We can also just remove the "in" altogether with this CSS:

.postinfo .categories {
    display: none;
    }

Add that to your custom stylesheet or if you don't have one then use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Hope this helps Caroline!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

Caroline

Thanks for the response! Understanding the after the "in" there should a category listing, I'm thinking that there is something wrong because that wiki is in a category but its not showing up in that space.

data-export-best-practices is the name of an individual wiki, not a category. From other people's examples it sounds like there should be a category between the slug and name of the wiki.

Any thoughts or guidance?

Thanks! Caroline

Tyler Postle

Hey Caroline,

Thanks for updating the thread with your answer there

As for the "in", that appears to be from your theme. Wiki places the categories at the bottom of the wiki. I checked on my own install with the default WordPress theme and there is no "in". If you like, we can get rid of both the author and "in" underneath the Wiki title, or we just get rid of the "in", the code to do that is about.

I wish there was a way to have two wiki's on one site...is that possible? Thanks!

Using Multisite is the best alternative to this both sites will share the same user database so they should remain logged in on both sites and if you use the same theme then the experience is seamless to the user.

Let me know if you want to discuss that option any further, would be happy to do so!

Look forward to hearing back Caroline.

All the best,
    Tyler