Conversion questions

I am currently using aMember ( https://www.amember.com/ ) for membership software on my website (https://dynastyleaguefootball.com). While I like the product, there have been a number of issues which have arisen, usually revolving around compatibility with our host, wpengine. As much as I hate the though of switching membership systems, the though of leaving wpengine is even less desirable. So I am beginning the search, and have a few questions regarding Membership Pro 2 (MP2).

1. Have you ever done a conversion of membership data from aMember to MP2?
2. How does MP2 store membership user data? Does it use the existing wp user database or it's own database?
3. If I wanted to protect some portion of a page that is on my site but is not a wordpress page, like a separate php utility or page, are there hooks which would allow me to code in protection there?
4. If I had an urgent support issue, is there a chat support option available? What is the typical support ticket response time?
5. Is there a sample page or site where I can view both the end user sign-on and user profile experience, as well as see the admin management experience?

Thanks so much!

KM

• Nastia

Hello ken_moody , hope you are doing well!

I m afraid I'm not familiar with aMember software. I did create a demo account with them to check it out though it is not enough to fully understand how it works.

So far, you will have to setup all Memberships from the start. In case you already have paid users, you can manually add them to these memberships using Bulk Add feature from Membership 2 > All Members.

2. How does MP2 store membership user data? Does it use the existing wp user database or it's own database?

3. If I wanted to protect some portion of a page that is on my site but is not a wordpress page, like a separate php utility or page, are there hooks which would allow me to code in protection there?

Membership 2 Pro, protects only pages, URLs within WordPress structure. I am afraid it can not protect pages outside of WordPress site.

We do have API Documentation with a list of Memberships' hooks that will help build this feature. To view it, navigate on your site to Membership 2 > Help > API Docs

Otherwise, portions of pages within WordPress site can be protected with Membership's shortcodes.

4. If I had an urgent support issue, is there a chat support option available? What is the typical support ticket response time?

We do have live chat support, you can see the time schedule on this page:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/

Though we normally provide support in our support forums. The usual first-time response takes less than an hour. If there is something urgent, you can contact us via email using our contact form choosing "I have a different question" for your topic.

Please note, that the thread with an issue should be already created on our forums and you need to include it in the email body; our Account Staff will forward your request to the support staff ASAP.

5. Is there a sample page or site where I can view both the end user sign-on and user profile experience, as well as see the admin management experience?

I am afraid we do not have a demo page, but since you are on wpEngine, you can create a staging site and see how the Membership 2 works there. Please note that the page view variates based on the theme you have active on your site.

Plus, if you require styling changes, let us know and we will provide you CSS code to change it.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• ken_moody

Thank you Nastia, very much appreciate the response.

I have just a couple more questions regarding Membership 2 running on wpengine. One of the issues I most frequently hear about from our members has to do with caching of credentials. Because wpengine employs such aggressive caching, whenever users close their browsers and come back to the site, they have to re-authenticate. User credentials do not carry over from session to session.

1. Do you have a lot of experience running Membership 2 on wpengine, and is that an issue? Can users remain signed on from session to session when hosted on wpengine?

So I have like 6000 active subscribers and about 12k users in the database. the basic user info is stored in the wordpress database, so username & password data is already in place there, but membership & account status information is stored in a separate proprietary database for amember.

2. Assuming we can at least access current subscription info in that db, do you think it will be feasible to batch update user accounts in MP 2 with the membership data from the amember database? Is there the ability to have someone from wpmudev perform or even assist with the migration? Manually entering info on thousands of users would be no bueno.

Thank you very much.

KM

• Sajid

Hello ken_moody,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Its Sajid, working with Nastia and I hope you don't mind me chiming in here.

1. I don't have much experience using Membership 2 Pro plugin on WPEngine hosted site. But I don't think there should be any issue with user sessions. Since, Membership 2 Pro plugin's members system is built on WordPress core users and sign in system, so you don't need t worry about sessions. If you as an admin can stay logged in as far as you want then a member created with Membership 2 Pro plugin would also be.

2. I am sorry but we are not allowed to perform migration from other services to our own like Membership 2 Pro.

However, Membership 2 Pro plugin already have a Import Tool that can accept a JSON import file in a specific format.

So, if you can import the members, membership from your existing plugin in JSON format, then you can you import it easily with Membership 2 Pro -> Settings -> Import Tool.

In case, your existing plugin export in a CSV or XML, you can convert these into JSON by using following online free tools.
    http://www.csvjson.com/csv2json
    http://www.utilities-online.info/xmltojson/#.WK7xFRJ95E4

But the point is, this must be in exact format with exact position of headers that is acceptable in Membership to pro.

For reference, you can try export for sample file from Membership 2 Pro -> Settings -> Import Tools -> Export data.

Hope that helps! For any more questions, please create separate ticket for each question according to our forum posting rules so we could assist you further. This really helps us manage each issue in its own ticket and also helps other members find a thread easily looking for same problem.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.