Convert 2 subdirectory multisites to subdomain multisites on WPMUDEV Hosting

Hi guys, I hope you are all good.
As stated in this threat https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/hosting-cost-and-spec#post-1380401
It's already possible to have subdomain multisite installation on the WPMUDEV Hosting services.

I've already created 2 blank subdirectory multisite installations:

deproimca.wpmudev.host
websi.wpmudev.host

So I'm now requesting your kind help to please convert this 2 subdirectory multisite installation to subdomain installations.

Thanks very much.

• Pawel
    • Staff

Hello Flavio!

So to start, you need to do two things:

1. Have a wildcard SSL certificate for your subdomains
    2. Convert your sites to subdomain setups

After that, you can notify me here.

We can help you with the SSL certificate if you need assistance in this subject.

Kind regards,
    Pawel

• Flavio
    • Pirayax

Hi Pawel thanks for your response.

1. I already have wildcard SSL certificates for both sites from CloudFlare. How do I provide you with them? Should I just paste them here, or attache them in a TXT file? or how else?
    Also, do I have to already add the main domain for each site in the hosting hub? and set them as primary?

2. How do I convert subdirectory multisites to subdomain multisites? (I though that that was part of your help :upside_down:slight_smile: :

* Should I just change:
    define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false );
    to
    define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true );
    in wp-config.php for each site ??

* Should I add a .htaccess file to each site? and if so, what should I put in that file?

* Or should I just delete both subdirectory multisite installations and then create new single site installations and then convert them to subdomain multisite?

please help me with more clarification, and sorry for my confusion.

Thanks

• Flavio
    • Pirayax

Hi Pawel

I've already converted both site to subdomains setups following the recommendations in this post: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/change-multisite-sub-directories-sub-domains/

I had to add a .htaccess file to both sites. They seem to be working.

Let me know if this setup is correct and please tell me about setting up main domains and how do I provide you with the certificates? (My first question in my previous post).

Thanks

• Pawel
    • Staff

Hello Flavio!

I hope you're well today and thank you for the update!

Apologies for the long delay here, we're having increased number of question and we're dealing with them from oldest response to newest.

Happy to hear you've managed to set up your multisite installations. I'm wondering about the .htaccess part, though and I'll have to check it first because our servers run on nginx, not on Apache (which uses .htaccess files). But so far it looks good.

Please keep the certificates ready for now, because we will be asking for them soon.

The first step here is to prepare access credentials for both your sites. Please use our contact form to send us those, using the template I provide below.

Please send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:
    NOTE: Don't change selected topic in the dropdown, just leave it at "I have a different question".

Subject: "Attn: Pawel Pela"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Once you've sent us the details, please respond here in the topic.

Kind regards,
    Pawel

• Pawel
    • Staff

Hello Flavio!

I hope you're well today and thank you for sending the details!

I replied to your message so you can now send us the SSL certificates in attachment.

After we receive the certificates, we will be ready to proceed with converting your hosting to subdomains.

Kind regards,
    Pawel

• Pawel
    • Staff

Hello Flavio!

I've received some feedback from our hosting team. They discovered that the certificates you sent us are CloudFlare Wildcard certificates. They are only valid for CloudFlare - for CF to make them trusted everywhere, you would require a CF Enterprise service (this is called proxying): https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017421192-Cloudflare-DNS-FAQ#CloudflareDNSFAQ-DoesCloudflaresupportwildcardDNSentries

So in this case it's best to purchase a wildcard certificate from a different provider (which allows using the certificates everywhere). After you purchase the certificate, please send it to us via email, by responding to the previous messages.

Kind regards,
    Pawel

• Flavio
      • Pirayax

Hello Pawel thanks for the update.

Are you guys sure about what you stated above? So far as I know it's still possible to use the free CloudFlare certificates. As stated in that same CF support link that you shared and also in another thread (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/hosting-cost-and-spec#post-1381542) where Ronnie Burt kindly answered to one of my questions that is actually related to this issue:

I know we have a few customers now testing going straight free CloudFlare certs now for subdomains. The only problem is you have to manually add each subdomain to CloudFlare DNS manager as you create the new subsites. If you have a reasonable number of subdomains or aren't adding new subsites often, this approach might just do the trick.

The only downside is that free CF certificates are about 98% compatibles (not compatibles with old OS and old browsers versions) and that I would have to manually add each subdomain to CF DNS records, and I'm OK with that :relieved:

Also, I already did the test, I've created a new subdomain subsite and add it to CF DNS records. I tested it and it looks good, the CF certificate it's OK in the browser:

https://entorno-empresarial.deproimca.com/

So, please let me know if what I just said is not right (or it's right) and confirm if I really need to buy a wild card certificate. I'm just trying to minimize my costs as much as possible, actually that's one of several reasons I'm moving my sites to WPMU DEV hosting :wink: maybe in the future I will able to buy a good certificate but for now I need to minimize costs.

Thanks for your patience :innocent:

• Ronnie Burt
    • Hosting & Biz Dev

Hey there Flavio - thanks for your patience on this one, it is a learning experience for us all!

From what I can see, everything is looking good!

https://entorno-empresarial.deproimca.com/

No wildcard cert needed since you are going the individual Cloudflare cert route.

Just that you'll have to manually added each subdomain to Cloudflare as you create them and then let CF work its magic.

Is there anything on your end not working now or that you aren't sure about? Or did you just want confirmation that no wildcard cert is needed? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• Flavio
      • Pirayax

Hi Ronnie Burt thanks for your update, I understand this is a learning experience for all of us and I also thank you guys for your patience :wink:

Thanks for confirming that everything looks good and no more actions are needed for the certs.

At my end everything looks good as well, I would open another thread in the case of finding something wrong.

But I actually have another question. What about if I want to add a domain to one of the subsites?
      I'm guessing the process should be the following, and please correct me if needed:

1. I will point the new domain to the related WPMU DEV hosted multisite.
      2. I would have to add the new domain to that multisite installation in the hosting hub.
      3. I Will have to configure the subsite to work with that new domain, maybe using the Domain Mapping plugin.

So, my concern is about the SSL certificate for that new domain. Is that new domain for a subsite going to automatically get the Lets Encrypt cert? or should I also add it to CloudFlare's? What's your recommendation?

Also, what's your recommendation when adding a domain to a network subsite? I mean, is it really needed a plugin like Domain Mapping? as on my old multisite installation (hosted in Google Cloud Platform with a Bitnami container) I don't use any mapping plugin, I just changed the subsite's URL in the Network Admin -> Sites tab and it just works good.

What's your opinion/recommendation about this? is it possible to use both methods (changing the subsites URL and at the same time using the plugin)? as I still don't understand very well the benefits of the Domain Mapping plugin.

I know that I would have to do some testings by my self, but I would appreciate your thoughts about the best way to use domains for subsites.

Again, thanks very much for your patience and suppot :slight_smile:

• Ronnie Burt
        • Hosting & Biz Dev

Hiya Flavio - you will definitely need to add each new subdomain/subsite to cloudflare in order to get SSL working for those subdomains.

Assuming you created a wildcard DNS rule for the domain, you won't need to add each domain to your WPMU DEV Hosting Hub though - as all subdomains should already be pointing to your site.

As for additional domains (not just subdomains of your site), you will need a domain mapping plugin (like ours!), and then each domain will need to be manually added to your WPMU DEV Hosting hub, in addition to DNS being configured for it. It is definitely not recommended that you change the subsite's URL in the Network Admin > Sites tab, at least in our experience. It can cause problems with updates/upgrades, caching, CDNs, etc.

Does that help?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.