Convert existing website to Multisite w/Marketpress

We've gotten a little feedback but it seems a bit involved and we'd prefer not having this cause issues as we're running a bit behind schedule as it is! We're trying to keep it so the vendor pages are setup as sub-directories rather than sub-domains, and were told to install Snapshot Pro to transfer existing data using the full cloud backup feature, and the create a fresh install of Multisite; after the backup is completed, when they say "fresh install" would that in effect be wiping the entire site and starting from scratch, rebuilding it from the backup images?

Is there a tutorial available on best practices for converting an existing website (not an WPMUDEV theme or currently using any plugins) to Multisite w/Marketpress? If there is no tutorial on this process, is it possible to have it explained in detail in a support ticket or is there another place that we'd need to request this?

Additionally, when checking server support information saw the message below at the top of the page, any ideas what this might be in regards to or where to direct me?
Warning: mysqli_get_server_info() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, resource given in /home/xxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxx/wp-content/plugins/wpmudev-updates/template/support-system.php on line 77

Thanks...

John

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi John,
    Hope you are doing good today!

That means leave your WordPress website where it is. Create a new WordPress Multisite and then import your content from previous single site to newly created multisite.

I am not sure in what context they asked you to create a fresh install. You can enable WordPress Multisite on your existing WordPress single site. But before attempting to enable Multisite, make sure you take full backup of your website first.

Here are more details and video tutorial on how to enable WordPress Multisite:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

Now to the second part of the question of setting up MarketPress plugin. Once you have MultiSites setup, then install MarketPress plugin and follow the step by step usage guide to configure it correctly.

Finally to the third part of the question of getting error of Support System plugin. I could not replicate this issue on my own site. I enabled debugging, activated Support System plugin, went to WPMU DEV -> Support -> System Info and see no notices/warnings (on other pages too). If you continue getting this issue then please create a separate ticket for this issue so we can troubleshoot this issue further.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• John
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Sajid, tried to do what you recommended but was unable too since the domain needed (www.frommychildtoyours.com) is already in use, so we're unable to start a new Multisite installation.

We did try a "test" site to learn more about it (test.frommychildtoyours.com), and it's pretty cool but not going to work for what we need since the other site is near completion, just not live yet.

Any other recommendations, or are we missing something here from your explanation above? Thanks...

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi John,

You don't need to install a new WordPress on your existing domain or subdomain for WordPress MultiSites.

You can enable MultiSite on your existing WordPress site running on http://frommychildtoyours.com/.

I think you missed the very first step of adding following define in wp-config.php file before the line that says stop editing happy blogging.

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

This will work like a key and will tell WordPress that you want to enable MultiSites.

After adding it in wp-config.php file, upload it to your server and then refresh WordPress Dashboard page. You should see Network Setup sub menu under Tools menu.

Then please follow each and all steps in this manual or watch the complete video:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

Again, don't forget to take full backup of your website first. You can take full backup easily with Snapshot plugin.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• John

Sajid, thought I had included this in the initial post but likely didn't, sorry. The reason we don't want to do it as you outlined is that we'd prefer to have sub-directories, for many reasons, rather than sub-domains and since the site is already setup the only option is to add Multisite with sub-domains - this may be why we were instructed to do it the other way, to do a "clean install" since it appears the site needs to be "wiped" to have it setup with sub-directories. Thanks...

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi John,

Strange, I am not sure why WordPress forcing to use the Subdomain only setup. For me, it gives two option to chose one between Subdomain to Subdirectory (see screenshot).

Also, one more suggestion. Enable the Multisite using subdomain and then convert it into subdirectory setup by following this article:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/change-multisite-sub-directories-sub-domains/

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• John

Found a guide to help make it so that we could setup as sub-directory instead of sub-domain, seems to be working since first site added is http://www.from mychildtoyours.com/XXXXXX but of course now additional issues are occurring like being unable to access a subdirectory dashboard though the site page is accessible (even though it's not carrying over the theme or anything else, looks horrible). Do we need to start a new thread? Searched high and low for others who've had the same problem, can't find anything that would help resolve this issue, or at least shed any light on why it's happening. I can & will grant access if needed, we're really in a pinch here and time is of the essence...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.