Convert page to theme

I created a very simpele homepage here: http://www.crony.nl.

When I activate this theme on another site in the network, I get a very weird view. The fonts and settings are not imported. I think this is because I made the styling in the frontpage layout, and not directly in the theme. My question: How can I convert the homepage that I made to a theme, so I can reuse it?

• Raf

Small update: I confused about where this layout is stored in Upfront. I deleted all posts and pages and still this layout is displayed on my homepage. When I edit the homepage of the theme, I get a weird view as described above. When I go to the homepage http://www.crony.nl and click on "upfront" in the admin WP panel, then the right layout is showed. Isn't this weird? Because there is no page in Wordpress? And when I edit the theme homepage layout there is another view showed?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Raf,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I must say I"m not entirely sure about what exactly did you do but I think an additional information about Upfront could help. Let me explain then :slight_smile:

There's Upfront and Upfront Builder and they are two separate tools.
    "Upfront" is a parent theme with a built-in front-end editor.
    Upfront can only work with a child-theme.
    "Upfront Builder" is a tool to build that "child-theme".

Upfront (Upfront Editor)

Upfront Editor was designed to let you customize existing child-theme and add/edit content to the site. Think of it like a frontend-based, advanced version of a native WP theme customizer. It lets you make changes in theme design (even up to the CSS level) and also add/edit/delete content - posts, pages etc.

No changes made via Upfront Editor will be carried over to any of the other (sub)site that the same theme has been enabled.

Upfront Builder

It's a separate tool. Are you familiar a bit with building child-themes in WordPress? That usually consists of creating a new folder in "/wp-content/themes" folder on the server, copying some files and editing the code.

You could think of Upfront Builder like sort of "visual tool" that let you do this in a "non-coding" way. It lets you build a barebone child-theme of Upfront theme and lets you "modify/enhance" it, just like you would do in case of any other child-theme with that exceptions that it works only with Upfront and that it's visual.

Having that said, I realize that Upfront and Upfront builder are easy to confused in terms of their designated use and their functions. Per analogy to "regular WP themes", I think this approach could make it easer:

- when you think "content" and/or "customize site', you think "Upfront" (and Upfront editor) and you think/act "per site"
    - when you think "build theme" or "build child theme", you think "Upfront Builder"

I hope that makes it easier to understand the difference and consequences. If you have further question, please ask and I'll be more than happy to assist you more.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Raf

Hi Adam,

Thanks again :slight_smile: This is very helpful to me.

In the WP settings I set the page "home" as my default homepage. When I go to the Builder (not the upfront editor) and click "edit theme" I get the error below. The builder does work, but I see this errors. I don't know if changing my default homepage has effect this, but then you know what I did before this error showed up..

<b>Notice</b>: Trying to get property of non-object in <b>[escaped for privacy]/public_html/wp-includes/comment-template.php</b> on line <b>1194</b>
    <link rel='dns-prefetch' href='//s.w.org' />

<b>Notice</b>: Trying to get property of non-object in <b[escaped for privacy]/public_html/wp-includes/comment-template.php</b> on line <b>1194</b>

<b>Notice</b>: Trying to get property of non-object in <b>[escaped for privacy]/public_html/wp-includes/comment-template.php</b> on line <b>1219</b>

<b>Notice</b>: Trying to get property of non-object in <b>/[escaped for privacy]/wp-includes/general-template.php</b> on line <b>2652</b>

• Dimitris

Hey there Raf,

I trust you're well today and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

The change of homepage settings shouldn't be an issue. In fact, your setting should be set indeed in frontend (UF should respect that) and if you had chosen the "latest posts" instead then the default homepage layout of UF should be used.

Considering the notices you're getting, these shouldn't be an issue either. Please keep in mind the differences here:

- NOTICE: this is a short message for saying what to do or what not to do.
    - WARNING: occurs at run time. Code execution continues.
    - ERROR: this also occurs at run time, execution terminates.

If you find yourself still struggling with all that, please elaborate on your current issue(s) and we'll be more than happy to further assist you! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.