Converting over facebook logins from custom site to wordpress social

This maybe technically a buddypress question. I have 10,000+ users that I'm moving over from a legacy custom site. I think about 5000 of them authenticated to the custom site through Facebook. So we have tokens associated with them. Is it possible to reuse/transfer those tokens or what we stored to move to a social login through buddypress or an WPMU social related plugin? Otherwise I don't know how these users would login to the new Wordpress site with Buddypress and WPMU plugins.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Candance,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

That is quite a tough case. You previous site was using some kind of custom solution, right? WordPress is using it's own format in a database to store user data (including data being serialized in some tables) and I'm not entirely sure how Facebook stores the data on it's side.

Another issue is that WordPress doesn't support social login "out of the box" so you would one of the social login plugins installed and that also makes it a bit more complex as they may store/handle data in different ways.

The bottom line is that it would most likely require a serious custom development and that would be outside the scope of this forum so you might want to post a question on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

That being said, I think there may be a bit simpler solution. The Cimy User Manager plugin is able to export/import WordPress users. You'll find it here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/cimy-user-manager/

What I'm thinking about would be:

- setup a simple site with WordPress and create some "dummy" users there
    - install that plugin on that site and use it to export these users to a file

- examine the file to see what is the format of data and what data is included
    - create a custom script to export user data from your custom site to the same format (including the same data) as in that example file

Then use the Cimy User Manger plugin on a target WordPress based website to import users exported from your site with a custom script to it.

That would let you copy all user accounts so then you could install one of the "social login" plugins on your new WordPress site and I think users would only be asked to "re-authorize" themselves which is a matter of just a single click (they wouldn't have to register and you would be able to move all the associated data).

That's just an idea though and it would also require some custom development, I think.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Candace

Thanks Adam. I can do the development myself if I know how to deal with the solution. The custom solution I had before was where we stored a token for Facebook authentication to our website. We had a very basic authentication facebook app. (you have to do this for any authentication integration for websites or apps).

I looked at this further after your post. Maybe this is easier than I thought. I thought something that WPMU offered would help with this but are their no social authentication plugins? That was the main reason for the question to your staff. Looks like your Social plugin is more for posts and not end user authentication then? Ideally I'd use 1 of the 100+ you have here at WPMU but if you don't have one then why couldn't I use a plugin like this since we already have the facebook app itself that exists? https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-fb-autoconnect/

Otherwise I'll look at your CIMY suggestion further.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Candace!

We do not have any "social login" plugins currently. You may want to take a look at our Ultimate Facebook plugin that features Facebook register/login feature, please note however that it's now "retired" (not so long ago so that part should work fine still) so it's not under development and is not supported. It has been however released to public and you may get it from our GitHub and further develop/customize:

https://github.com/wpmudev/ultimate-facebook

why couldn't I use a plugin like this since we already have the facebook app itself that exists? https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-fb-autoconnect/

You can of course :slight_smile: My previous response was quite "general" but that's because I know nothing about your current setup and how it works. Based on what you explained in your recent post, I tend to agree that it may be easier. Actually, if there's not much/any data/content for user that should be carried over to a new site, probably there wouldn't be need for any special development: if you simply install "social login" plugin (like the one you selected) the "worst" that can happen would be that a user will be asked to "allow your site" when trying to access it using FB.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.