Converting to Subdirectory from Subdomains

I have recently installed the WP Multisite. During the installation I somehow remembered that wordpress told me that only subdirectories are allowed since the blog is older than a month. But now when I want to add a site to my network, it seems I can only add it as subdomain. I wouldn't mind to much, but when I then want to view my site that I added, it says site not found. I am confused. Anybody knows what the problem is?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings KIDUBU,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

You do not provide much information or a clue, but my first inclination is that you do not have the wildcard domain setup for your main installation domain yet.

To proceed in further troubleshooting please let us know if:

WordPress 3.3.2?
    This is a MultiSite?
    Buddy Press 1.5.5?
    Caching?

Now for the nitty gritty:

What is the main domain?

What is the test domain that you created that does not work?

Please advise.

Cheers, joe

• KIDUBU
    • New Recruit

Wow, you guys are fast!

The version is 3.3.2. No buddypress installed/activated. I did all the steps to enable network, but as explained, when I want to add a site, I don't succeed. The site I wanted to add was http://verzeichnis.kidufamily.com/ . The "home" domain of my Multisite is http://www.kidufamily.com. Hmm, caching, I think not, at least I didn't do anything in terms of installation or settings to enable caching. But I am not an expert, so you may take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Hope this info helps in understanding the problem.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings KIDUBU,

Thank you for your feedback and for the information regarding your site.

The first problem I see and it is a big one that when setting up a MultiSite domain you are not supposed to use the www within the MultiSite URL. If one does, the MultiSite tries to create sub domains that go like verzeichnis.www.kidufamily.com - this will not work.

So to begin to fix this you will need to change this in the wp-config.php and the database for the site.

If this site is in beginning development it may be easier to reinstall ensuring all areas are covered with just using as the domain kidufamily.com

Note: There are no www's in any of the URL's taken from the WordPress Codex Ref:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network

The network must be configured domain.com to operate correctly.

Please advise how you would like to proceed.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• KIDUBU
    • New Recruit

hmm. Maybe it is easier to reinstall. If I export all the posts and pages, I should be able to easily import them again, right? Maybe I get someone to do it for me. Do you offer such reinstallation services? How much would they cost? Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings KIDUBU,

hmm. Maybe it is easier to reinstall. If I export all the posts and pages, I should be able to easily import them again, right?

This is correct and it should work out as expected, But of course be sure to make a complete backup of both the web site and more importantly the database before doing the re-install.

Maybe I get someone to do it for me. Do you offer such re-installation services?

I am sorry that we do not directly, but you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• KIDUBU
    • New Recruit

Thanks, I have posted a job there. I have just uninstalled the site with simplescript. When I tried to reinstall without www. then I get the following message (therefore I will stop and wait for a pro):
    "Installing WordPress 3.3.2 (Stable) to http://kidufamily.com

Overwrite Warning, Please Confirm It looks like there are some conflicting files in the directory you have chosen. If you choose to continue, conflicting files will be overwritten, which will destroy the original contents of those files.

Show Debug (beta)

[13 May 03:28] Overwrite Warning on Files: wp-admin, wp-content"

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.