Converting Wp Comments to Buddy Press Forums

Hello, I have some comment threads that are way too long in a regular WP Blog, and these discussions would be better off in their own forum topic . Just installed Buddy press and Wordpress MU and did an import of existing posts and comments in to Buddy Press/Wordpress new site.

Is there a way of exporting out the comments for wordpress and then importing them as new Buddypress forums? Would I have to create the buddy press forum first and then only import the one topic at a time or how could I do this?

• Avi
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@Phil, I can't speak for sistesonline but thats actually more of what I am looking for.

specifically an option to link/create a forum topic with a post. ideally something I could choose to do (or not do) on a case by case basis when creating a post/page.

As I understand it this is already something available as part of the simplefroums (a free) plugin for wordpress developed but just two people.

# Blog Posts and Forum Topics can be linked
    # Share Blog Comments and Forum Posts

http://simple-press.com/features/

I am actually a little surprised there isn't anything like this available from WPMU Dev currently.

• sitesonline
    • Flash Drive

Hi, thanks for the reply, didn't see that anyone had answered until now.

My dilemma is that I need to just move over some of my more popular comments within a few posts to either BBpress/Buddy Press or I guess I can look at Simple press if that is the only option and they have a way of importing comments into their system. I've already done my exporting, and could certainly manipulate the data into Excel etc, to get it in a format so that it could be imported into a forum.

I'm not too concerned about new posts. Ideally I would keep comments for new posts because not many threads get that popular, I just need to figure out on a new buddypress/Multisite install with bbpress integrated, if there is a way to move over let's say (3 of my comment threads that are very large and turn them into a forum)... (just the one time basis, just to transition)

If I can't easily do this within BuddyPress/BBPress etc, then I guess I'll have to look at simple-press, although I really wanted to stick with the solution that was already integrated.

Thanks for the replies.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Of course, SimplePress! Don't know why that didn't spring into my mind - thanks Avi!

I'd suggest trying SimplePress and see where you get... there's not much point us creating something that is available for free, if that does the job.

If not, return here and let us know how you found it, what you'd change etc so we can take it into consideration for a future project!

Thanks!
    Phil

• Avi

Phil

Your Welcome!

As for the duplication it really wouldn't be. I have a BP install and thats not the same things as SP. Also, SP doesn't integrate (at least not out of the box) into things like the BP Activity Stream.

Definetly feel that BP andor/ bbP would greatly beneifit from a plugin that allowed useres to link posts and/comments to forum topics.

There is a got to be a way to talk you guys in to at least considering it.! Right?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I see your point, and that makes sense. There is definite cross-over but worth a look.

It'd be great if you could post the suggestion in the feature requests area. That way it'll definitely get looked at as a possible future addition :slight_smile:

Phil

• sitesonline
    • Flash Drive

Well, I'm still back at where I started. I posted on Simple Press the question about importing and they say they don't have the ability to do any imports either...so I also vote for having this integrated into the BP and bbP here and will post in the feature requests or second Avi's vote if he's already put that request into that area.

And I guess I'll be posting for a quote for a developer to write an import plugin for BBpress. Can't see me having to try to type in close to 1000 comments.....

• Avi

@sites have not been back to forums till just now but I will head over and whip up my request now. Please do find my post and your voice.

@phil thanks for the follow up and the suggestion to repost! I will do that now!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.