Cookie validity time

Hi,

I'm using Pay with a Like, and I've set it up so that users like a specific URL (i.e. facebook page). What happens if users already liked the page, and the cookie validity time has expired? Will they be able to like again, if they're already in the Liked list? Shouldn't they get the download link immediately even if the validity time has expired?

How will this work?

Thanks and regards,

Chris

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Chris,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

This is a very valid question as a page can only be liked once from one facebook account which is not the case with Twitter and G+ but facebook.

Let me call our lead developer on the same with his views.

Cheers, PC

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

What happens if users already liked the page, and the cookie validity time has expired?

Then content will again be hidden for them. They can reveal the protected content using another button (if they liked using Facebook before, take can use Twitter, etc.) or you can increase cookie time to e.g 10 years, if that is your intention.

Will they be able to like again, if they're already in the Liked list? Shouldn't they get the download link immediately even if the validity time has expired?

PWAL does not keep a liked list in the database. It is all controlled by client's cookie (for that reason it is encrypted so that client cannot fake it).

Cheers,
    Hakan

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You are most certainly welcome Chris :slight_smile:

Thanks Hakan for chiming in. Its only facebook that has a limitation of not being able to like a page 2 times, but that doesnt make any sense either :stuck_out_tongue: lol..

Cheers, PC

• chris_porter
    • New Recruit

Hi PC,

Many users who have 2+ devices (e.g. mobile/laptop/tablet) are finding difficulty to download the resources protected with PWAL. Apparently it's because the plugin is writing a cookie on the device itself.

It would have made much more sense to check whether the user has already liked that page (if it is a static URL), and un/protect accordingly.

It's causing a lot of support issues, and I'm really worried that it won't work.

Can you shed some light on this?

Regards,

Chris

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Many users who have 2+ devices (e.g. mobile/laptop/tablet) are finding difficulty to download the resources protected with PWAL. Apparently it's because the plugin is writing a cookie on the device itself.

That is the default behavior. It can not be cross synced between devices.

It would have made much more sense to check whether the user has already liked that page (if it is a static URL), and un/protect accordingly.

That can only be done if the user is using the same device and you have set the cookie validity to a higher value

It's causing a lot of support issues, and I'm really worried that it won't work.

I am afraid, currently cross device syncing is not available with the plugin. The users will have to like the content again.

Regards,
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.