Cookies getting cleared automatically

Have Pay Per View plugin enabled, and once people purchased it, and were redirected properly. They seem to be kicked out or forced to refresh the page, and the user doesn't have access to the payed content anymore.

Was able to notice after an hour the member made a purchase, the issue starts to occur, and the content gets protected again.

Maybe Hummingbirds cache is causing this issue. Have disabled the plugin at the moment. Please check the chat notes for more info.

• viobru

Hi, Lee!

Hope you’re doing great :slight_smile:

I checked this in my testing site, having only Pay Per View and Hummingbird installed on it (and with HB caching active) and I was not able to replicate the issue on it. I tried opening the post in different browsers and leaving the page open for a couple of hours in all cases, but I was not being kicked out or forced to refresh the page and I didn’t have to pay for the content again in any case.

I guess that the issue has to be related to the concrete settings on your site so to check this we’ll need to test this on your site directly. Knowing that this is a live site, would it be possible to create a staging site on the same server for testing purposes? Once you have it, could you please send us an email with the following information so we can have a closer look at this?

Subject: "Attn: Violeta" (Please use this subject line to ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile: )
    - Server authentication credentials, if used (username/password)
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login URL
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Linkback to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

You can use our secure contact form here to send it (please, do not post this information in this thread since this is an open thread and could be accessible by anyone): https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question.

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Violeta

• Lee

Hello Violeta,

I have supplied updated login credentials via live chat with Mr. Nithin Ramdas. I have also used a site duplicator to create a new staging site. I believe the problem with the internal 500 error was the result of using a sub-domain in the last site as I got the same internal 500 error on the new site when i changed the site URL to staging.mydomain.com under settings in WordPress. As such the new site is simply a sub-directory of the main site. changing the site url to the sub-directory corrected the internal 500 error. Now that the internal 500 error has been taken care of (hopefully), I would greatly appreciate it if you could determine what is deleting or modifying the pay per view cookies in such a way that it forces people to re-purchase after a short while.

Thanks for your assistance in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you!

• Lee

Hello Violeta,

I've just learned from speaking with one of the people who was affected by the vanishing cookie, or interupted cookie, i'm not sure, and it turns out that at least in her case, the problem arose as follows:

1. She purchased the pay per view event on her cell phone.
        2. She watched the event as normal.
        3. She received a phone call.
        4. She answered the phone call.

She then tried to go back to the live event but was unable to as it forced her to repay for the event.

So it appears, at least in her case, answering the phone call deleted or interrupted the cookie to the point that it forced her to repay for the event..

• viobru

Hi, Lee,

Hope you’re doing fine :slight_smile:

My teammate Abdul has passed me the creds you’ve shared during the chat you had with him so we can proceed to test this but seems that you’ve shared the live site creds. Please note that the first test we need to run (plugin/theme conflict test) requires the plugins to be deactivated to run it (and possibly the theme to be switched to a default theme), so I won’t run it on the site so everything keeps working and instead I’ll provide the steps of how the test should be run so maybe you can try running it on the site when having low traffic on it.

Please, make sure that you have an updated backup of your site before running the conflict test.

In this case, you should deactivate all plugins except Pay Per View and Hummingbird (with HB caching active) and then check if you can replicate the issue, so the users get disconnected and are prompted to pay again for the content when only these two plugins are active on the site. You can find more information about how to run the plugin/theme conflict test here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-2

As I mentioned in the previous post, it would be better to have a staging site (a copy of the live site) on the same server for testing purposes so you don’t need to deactivate anything on the live site or have to put it under maintenance when running the test. If you finally decide to create a staging site this article can be handy: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/set-up-staging-site-cheap-shared-hosting/

Please let us know which was the result after running the conflict test on either the live or the staging site so we can continue checking this. Also, if you finally create a staging site, as I mentioned in the previous post you can share the creds of it, so we can check this further, using our secure and encrypted contact form and adding the following information on it (sorry if I wasn’t clear enough before, but using the contact form to share your information is the safest and fastest way and the information will be securely sent and won’t be publicly visible):

Subject: "Attn: Violeta" (Please use this subject line to ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile: )
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login URL
    - Any other relevant URLs

Here’s the link to the contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question.

Kind regards,

Violeta

• viobru

Hi, Lee!

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for sharing the creds for the staging site. I was going to check this by creating a new post on the site and activating the Pay Per View option on it but, for some reason, I’m getting a 500 internal server error when trying to see the post from the frontend, as you can see in this image:

I’ve checked it and seems that the error appears for all published posts and pages, so I can’t use any of the existing content in order to continue checking this.

Could you please fix this error so we can continue working on the site? You can find information about how to fix this in this article: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/500-internal-server-error/

Many thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Violeta

• Lee

Hello,
      I gave that option a try and it seems to be working but it also seemed to be working on my end during the event as well. I will get back to you once i've had several users try it and verify the results.

However, there is still the issue of how a user was able to pay for the event for less than the price I set in pay per view. This user was able to pay 3 dollars less than everyone else. Everyone else was charged the amount I set. I'm not sure how this happened. Is there a way for people to somehow manipulate the plugin on their end?

• viobru

Hi, Lee!

I checked the PPV transactions on the staging site and I guess that you’re referring to this one, am I right?

Apart from that, I re-checked the chat that you had with Nithin before the ticket was created and I couldn’t find any information about this. Could you please check if you see any other detail in your PayPal account regarding this transaction and inform us about it if any?

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Violeta

• Lee

Yes, that appears to be the transaction, How did this happen?

BTW, when I first tried informing you of this, was in the first day or two of the original ticket submission. However, I email that to you and of course, is bounced. I forgot to include that in here, so you never saw it.

As far as the transaction information, all the information seems to be virtually identical to every other transaction that occurred that evening. In fact, he was one of the people who was charged twice. He was charged once at the lower rate and again at the higher rate. I refunded the higher rate as that is the once he called about.

Other than that, I have no idea how he was charged a lower rate than everyone else. As far as having other users test the new cookie, i plan on that for later Monday evening.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.