cool WP lovers I have a custom build WP theme that does not

Hi cool WP lovers

I have a custom build WP theme that does not come with a ton of shortcodes.
But I need to create some pages and posts with tapped content, galleries and the like.

So I was looking for a Shortcode plugin - but my God there are many. Some free, some paid.

Anyone got some recommendations?
What's the best?

Also I read an article not long ago (think it was a post on themeforest.net) that we should avoid shortcodes built into the theme - as your content might last longer than your current theme - and in one year you do not want to go through a couple of hundred posts with shortcodes that only worked in your old theme.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

The only issue I find with theme shortcodes is that every time WordPress is updated, you will need to get your theme updated accordingly.

With popular plugins, you don't have to think about it as there are more chances of the plugin being updated for the latest WP versions :slight_smile:

I find http://wordpress.org/plugins/synved-shortcodes/ a good plugin however the choice can be diffferent from person to person and depends heavily on the requirements.

The benefit with paid plugins is that they are more likely to be updated with changes in WordPress.

If you have an option where you have a free version of a plugin, then try it out, if it suits your requirement, just go for the premium version.

On the other hand, if you want to use shortcodes in your custom theme, then you can do that as well, just make sure that the code can easily be changed to work with the latest WP releases.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Nicolai Loenne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for response :slight_smile:

I've ended up going with this plugin: http://codecanyon.net/item/vision-wordpress-shortcodes-plugin/3372371

TriedSynved from wordpress.org, but it didn't really fit into my design. Vision did perfectly.
    Also had a try at one called Shortcodekid - seems like a very old unupdated plugin (even though paid). Cannot recommend.

Vision also had great support, by the way.

Just sharing if anyone else needs shortcode plugins :slight_smile:

• nuxel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm a little late with this recommendation but still I would like you to check this one
    http://codecanyon.net/item/styles-with-shortcodes-for-wordpress/142221

I gotta say, I didn't know the one you shared and I liked it, nice buttons and the icons are great, so why am I suggesting you another one?

Well, it's simple, this other plugin costs $4 more than the vision one, but it has a nice feature and it is that it lets you create your own shortcodes, and it also has some shortcodes that vision does not, like tooltips, picture frames and others.

Anyway, check it out if you want, I've used it for a long time and it does have updates from time to time and you can also extend it with some addons if I recall correctly.

Cheers,

• nuxel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It is confusing indeed and I also don't like the style too much :slight_smile: but the nice thing is that it comes with some sort of shortcode manager and you can modify the css of each shortcode and also clone a shortcode change its name and modify it.

It may not look the way you want it right out of the box but you also don't have to alter the files directly to make it look the way you want it to.

For example you can make your own buttons with a css generator like this one
    http://www.cssbuttongenerator.com/
    and have your shortcode 100% the way you like it.

And that is why I like it even if their styles are... well I don't like to criticize but they are certainly not pretty hehe.

--------
    Anyway, good luck with your site it looks nice, it has a nice color, just an observation, when I tried to scroll down I got dialog box saying "undefined"

Cheers.

• Nicolai Loenne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Well I know people that are building sites in Drupal or Joomla. No idea why, maybe their mothers dropped then shortly after birth :slight_smile:

Okay to be fair, right now I'm cleaning a clients site for a drive by malware infection. They never updated WP core or plugins since install so they kinda asked for it, but still that's the downside of WP.

Long time ago I built sites with CMS Made Simple and I still have a few clients running on that platform. Sites have not been updated for years and no problems what so ever (on the being hacked front, however, user interface sucks)

• nuxel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It is a downside, having to update so often, but well, that's the thing about being the most popular.

Like you sometimes I really don't understand why Joomla or Drupal having WP at sight. I won't deny they are also great but the amount of cheap and great PLUGINS/THEMES in wordpress should make the decision for them.

Luckily I got the ManageWP that WPMU sent us, a sweet 30% lifetime discount in a service that is made to help us with that downside.

• nuxel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I really thought about InfinityWP and it is nice but even if ManageWP ain't free it just works.

You should get at least 1 basic account, with the discount up to 5 WP sites it would only set you back 2.8 USD and you can keep that discount for a future when you might need the features that the other 2 plans offer whenever you need them for a lower price, since it is supposed to work even if you upgrade/downgrade your account.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey @loenne

Glad that you got a good one to settle down with :slight_smile:

Personally, I love Manage WP. Have never tried InfinityWP, but would certainly play with it soon :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Nicolai Loenne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I love ManageWP too, but I manage both a lot of sites for seo purposes and a lot of sites for clients - so managewp is simple to expensive :slight_smile:
    Add to that, that I like to host my own stuff and infinitywp allows for that.

Btw, do you know why the title of this post/topic is totally wrong? It's part of the first line from the original post, but I'm sure that I started out with a real question as topic.
    Did I do something wrong or did the system just fuck up on me?

• nuxel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I agree with you, I also prefer to host my own stuff, so why don't check out the ManageWP Self-Hosted, 'cause InfiniteWP is free but the addons aren't and the full pack of addons it's quite expensive, ManageWP don't show pricing on the self-hosted but there is a contact form for a quote, you don't pay just for asking and you could also tell us(me i'm curious) how much is the self-hosted version since I really want to know hehe.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.