Copy existing site to safe location for total rework

I want to take an existing live site copy it either to my local server or a staging area where I can totally develop a new site - using a new theme, different plugins etc. Then when done push or migrate new site to replace the existing site. Should I use Snapshot or Cloner or both? And can you give some advise and details on the process. Is Cloner just for Multi Site - because I am working on a single site that it not part of a multi site situation.

Thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Stacey,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Yes, Cloner is only for multisite. So you will want to use Snapshot in this case.

Do a complete snapshot of everything, then setup a plain vanilla WordPress site on your local setup and install Snapshot.

Now, download that original snapshot of your live site and place it into your local sites:

/wp-content/uploads/snapshots folder.

Then go to your local site and go:

Snapshots > Import. Click import :slight_smile:

That will import that original snapshot you did and now you can just restore it.

Then do your development and repeat the process the opposite way to restore it back to your live site.

How does that sound? Let us know if you need any further assistance with this :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• Stacey

Hi tyler,

That sound doable even for me! I do have a question when going the other way (when the dev work is done). We are changing the theme as well. Should I install & activate the new theme on the live install before going in the opposite direction (pushing to live)? And same question for new plugins.

Thanks
    Stacey

PS with something so easy I wonder why so many people use BackupBuddy...good product but very difficult to use for a not so experienced person like me.

• aristath

Hello again @Stacey, I hope you're well today!

That sound doable even for me! I do have a question when going the other way (when the dev work is done). We are changing the theme as well. Should I install & activate the new theme on the live install before going in the opposite direction (pushing to live)? And same question for new plugins.

If you use snapshot then no, you shouldn't need to do anything as it will automatically include all files and folders (provided of course that you specifically tell it to do that while backing-up your site).

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.