Copy site over existing sub sites

Hello, I have a blog template that I use for future sites. I want to clone my previously existing sites off this template. How do I do this?

I saw this post https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/clone-sites-within-a-wordpress-multisite-network/ but it was for a sub domain installation. I have a sub folder install with Multi DB.

Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

**STAFF UPDATE**
Looking to clone your subsites? We have just released Cloner, designed to do exactly that! :slight_smile:

• PC

Hey Atlanta,

Thanks for posting back.

Nothing from the top of my head. If you want to make changes to the current sites, those have to be done manually.

The reason is that the site which are already created can not be modified using the Blog templates plugin. It only applies to the new sites. So you can also do it this way.

Export the current subsite
    Delete it
    Create a clone using new blog templates
    Import the content

and that should be it. (Please do not forget to take a full backup before you try it out)

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC

Hiya,

If I delete the current blog then recreate it, then all of my subsite admins will get locked out and have to reset their passwords, right?

yes you are right.

Also, if I export the site using tools/wp-admin/export.php it looks like plugin and theme settings are not exported, correct?

You are right here too.

Unfortunately there is no other way which I can think of as of now.

If your subsite is managed by the subsite admins, and you change the subsite using a template you have created, they can anyways change the looks again as they are the admins.

So I am not exactly sure on what you are trying to achieve here as its not possible to change the site template without manually making the changes or deleting and recreating them.

Cheers, PC

• Atlanta

Thanks
    If your subsite is managed by the subsite admins, and you change the subsite using a template you have created, they can anyways change the looks again as they are the admins.
    I have easy blogging and user role / menu editor etc on the admin side so it's easy to hide plugin areas from admins and make sitewide changes en masse:slight_smile:

So I am not exactly sure on what you are trying to achieve here as its not possible to change the site template without manually making the changes or deleting and recreating them.
    Let's say a super admin wants to add a couple of new plugins, edit their settings, and a new theme across sub sites for unified branding, there must be an easy way to do it without locking out all admins and going through each site manually, no? The cloner plugin sounds ideal but doesn't work with multi db.

Any suggestions from other wpmu users?

• PC

Hiya,

Thanks for posting back.

Let's say a super admin wants to add a couple of new plugins, edit their settings, and a new theme across sub sites for unified branding, there must be an easy way to do it without locking out all admins and going through each site manually, no?

nothing which I can think of. Let me see if I can get some direction on this one from our lead developer.

He should be here sooner than later.

Cheers
    PC

• Ignacio

Hi @Atlanta.

Adding a new theme for all subsites is easy and you won't need to lock any user. The problem here is that you want to change plugins settings in several subsites at the same time and this is not possible without creating a site again or doing it manually. New Blog Templates will do nothing once the blog is created.

I've been looking for an alternative solution but I did not find anything. If you find another way, please, let us know. It could be useful for other users.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Tyler Postle

Hey all,

Just going around updating a few of our old relevant threads to let you know about our recently launched site cloning plugin for WordPress Multisite :slight_smile:

You can read more here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/cloner/

If you have any questions then please do feel free to open a ticket and one of our team will be more than happy to assist :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.