Could you elaborate on this more regarding affliliates?

Hey folks,

I came across this recently. Could you elaborate on this?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/affiliates/

Also, you mentioned, ". . . to it just being kinda, well, wrong."?

Can you help me understand more of what you mean?

Since you got rid of yours, I guess you don't see any ways of avoiding the downsides of it?

Do you have any best practice ideas of avoiding the pitfalls you experienced?

I was a little confused when I ran across that page given you have this plugin . . . smile.

Could you help me understand better?

Thanks ...

• Patrick

Hey there @Greg

I hope you're having a great day!

I believe the "...kinda, well, wrong." part refers to it just not fitting in with our business model. Which is, basically, to provide value to our members through our products rather than inflating their wallets with enticing money-making opportunities.

That said, the pitfalls in affiliate marketing are numerous and affiliate forums are filled with the woes of those who have fallen victim to fraudsters. A quick Google search for "affiliate fraud" will turn up heaps of information on how to better secure your online business against it.

As for our Affiliates plugin, that offering does fit into our business model. :slight_smile: Members who really do want to increase their revenue through affiliate marketing, on their own sites, can do so with a simple solution and integrate that marketing plan with some of our other products like MarketPress.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Greg

@Patrick

Do you think requiring affiliates to be paying monthly members themselves before the can become one/be approved would help?

Is there a way to not allow them or deactivating the affiliate link code in the plugin and ONLY allow them to refer traffic from approved domains only (while allowing them to enter multiple domains if the have more than one)? This method may seem to prevent cookie stuffing schemes too.

Would these options be good feature requests for the plugin (i.e being able to disable the aff. code portion completely and allowing them to name multiple domains for pre-approval)?

Just some other thoughts...will look at of things (I am on the fence).

:slight_smile:

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Greg,

Thank you for your replies.

Ok. How many years did you guys use affliliates before you discontinued it?

Where you doing recurring payments to them at the time or one offs? How did they take it and how did you handle dropping it and breaking the news to them?

I can't answer this question as i am new here but my other colleagues( Staffs ) will answer it.

Do you think requiring affiliates to be paying monthly members themselves before the can become one/be approved would help?

Yes i think it will help a bit and you should also restrict him to to become paying member directly from your site and not from any other affiliate.

Is there a way to not allow them or deactivating the affiliate link code in the plugin and ONLY allow them to refer traffic from approved domains only (while allowing them to enter multiple domains if the have more than one)?

I think you can achieve this by developing custom code. You can refer the instructions provided in the following reply.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/changing-the-affiliate-referal-code#post-472160

Would these options be good feature requests for the plugin (i.e being able to disable the aff. code portion completely and allowing them to name multiple domains for pre-approval)?

Yes it is. I will move this over to the features & feedback section. This way it can be considered for future development, and we can also see what other community members think about the feature request.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi