Could you explain a little more the use cases for the new levels that automatically populate . . .

Hey guys,

Could you explain a little more the use cases for the new levels that automatically populate (recently added update a while back) for the "System Membership" and "My Site" membership levels? Why are they there vs. not being there in the past and best use cases in this update for them? See attached.

Also, I see "Visitor" now too. I assume that is someone who signed up but did are not a member of any level? But, then again, I see those but have the system automatically put them in one of the FREE levels I created in PC. I see new people who come in and are still a visitor and are not on the FREE level. If you could help flesh that out that would be great too regarding PC's definition and use case for the "Visitor" (seem simple enough but just want to be sure I have the nuances of how PC is defining and marking them as such . . . ).

Also, could you let me know if the limitations seen in one of the screenshots explaining payment type is regarding them being able to switch from, say, Paypal to Stripe (is that what it means)? Please explain a bit more on that . . . .

Lastly, I see some of the Protected Content links like the one you see here attached is cut off on the left and bleeds into the footer area etc. How can I make all the link (public or private links) to be centered with all the info together in the body and not allow any text to bleed into the footer like you see there)?

Greg

Michelle Shull

Hi, Greg, thanks for all your questions here. Let's try to break this down piece by piece.

Could you explain a little more the use cases for the new levels that automatically populate (recently added update a while back) for the "System Membership" and "My Site" membership levels? Why are they there vs. not being there in the past and best use cases in this update for them? See attached.

I believe this is due to some changes we made in how the various memberships in Protected Content work. We've eliminated some redundancies, and I believe the System Membership here is to preserve the access you'd set up before those changes were added, so our changes didn't cause your whole system to stop working. Think of this as a holding pen for users who didn't cleanly fit into the new definitions of membership types, you can check any members in that group to make sure they're added to the right place.

Also, I see "Visitor" now too. I assume that is someone who signed up but did are not a member of any level? But, then again, I see those but have the system automatically put them in one of the FREE levels I created in PC. I see new people who come in and are still a visitor and are not on the FREE level. If you could help flesh that out that would be great too regarding PC's definition and use case for the "Visitor" (seem simple enough but just want to be sure I have the nuances of how PC is defining and marking them as such . . . ).

A visitor is usually defined as someone who is viewing your site but is not logged into any account. So if I were to click over to your site without using support access, I'd be a visitor. As soon as I sign into my account, regardless of my membership level or user role, I'm no longer a visitor. Use the visitor level to define what users see before they sign in, or to define what those who do not have an account at all on your site see.

Also, could you let me know if the limitations seen in one of the screenshots explaining payment type is regarding them being able to switch from, say, Paypal to Stripe (is that what it means)? Please explain a bit more on that . . . .

This message shows if you change anything about how payments work for a subscription. If John Smith signed up for a Fancy Club membership with monthly recurring payments of $99 through Stripe, for example, and you changed the Fancy Club payment process to a one time $9999 fee via PayPal, John Smith would still use the original rules. If Patty Jones signs up the day after you implement this change, she'll get the same access as John, but their payment methods will be completely different.

Also, you can only change this once, so your best bet is to be sure of your payment process/gateway in the very beginning, there's only one redo available.

Lastly, I see some of the Protected Content links like the one you see here attached is cut off on the left and bleeds into the footer area etc. How can I make all the link (public or private links) to be centered with all the info together in the body and not allow any text to bleed into the footer like you see there)?

We just need to add some CSS padding at the bottom of that form so it doesn't hide behind the footer, but I'll need a list of which pages you're seeing this on, since from your description above, it's more than just the subscribe form that's got display issues.

Thanks, Greg!