countless problems upgrading or purchasing subscription

i have created a website, and am having countless problems with the payment and upgrading section. i thought i had it working before but now it seems to be a mess.

i am created 2 levels, a free members and paid members. when users register they were automatically assigned to free member, however was not able to upgrade to paid membership. there was no button. on the subscriptions section it would say you are an indefinate member, and have no option to upgrade.

what i did to get around it, i removed the free members level and just had visitors and paid members. so when users register they are taken to the subscriptions page, where they can only select to pay for paid members.

i thought that was it, but testing the account, using some one elses paypal, they can click, purchase, type in their paypal details and pay and return back to the website. i log on to my admin account and find they have registered, perfect, but have not been assigned an access level or subscription? how do i get around this.

a view settings you might ask for: when users registered they are assigned to 'none' subscription. the renewel days part under 'extras' is set to 0, the payment gateway, only paypal single payment is active, i have tried to disable that and try paypal express, still same problem.

the money is transferring, but not changing any levels.

so i've tried two ways, creating a free level, but not being able to upgrade, and i've tried just a paid level but not changing any acccess levels or subscription. please help

• PC

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

First of all I would request you to bookmark : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership3440-Docs.pdf . It will help a lot along the way !

Secondly, if you are assigning a level to a member by default, it won't allow to show the upgrade buttons as you are also selling paid membership on the site. So ideally the best way to do this is allow them to select which subscription they want to buy.

As they are not getting assigned to a subscription even after a successful payment, it might be an issue with the IPN settings in your account or you have not setup all the Membership pages under Membership >> Options >> Pages

Can you kindly double check the settings as per the user manual and make sure they are setup correctly ?

Please let me know if that still does not work !

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Aaron

Thanks for replying

I have altered the subscription options. At the moment, users register and are not assigned an access level. they can go to the subscriptions page and see 1 paid subsciption available. they click 'subscribe' and paypal popup opens etc.. payment goes through.

i have tried changing the registering complete page to the home page, and it went back to the home page as i set it to. but again no change in access level or subscription.

payment goes through, but i got an email from paypal saying please check your server that handles paypal ipn. ipn sent to the following urls are failing. and it is 'mydomain/paymentreturn/paypalsolo

that tells me it is due to the ipn, but i am not sure what settings to change or where to change it. as i checked the payment gateway settings and all the membership pages under options and pages are correct with those pages working

• Aaron

sorry to add further information, hopefully it will help. i searched a few threads in community and were able to go to my paypal and check ipn history. all the transactions are 'retrying' getting a html code 404. each and every transaction is retrying with the same code

if you need the ipn message here is the more recent one. i have ***** out personal details

mc_gross=1.25&protection_eligibility=Eligible&address_status=confirmed&payer_id=W9HN6ZKCYJTQY&tax=0.00&address_street=****************&payment_date=13:05:46 Sep 05, 2013 PDT&payment_status=Completed&charset=windows-1252&address_zip=UB4 8PN&first_name=*****&mc_fee=0.24&address_country_code=GB&address_name=********&notify_version=3.7&custom=1378411524:69:30:2a6051a7df1facb1d9423b65ae936b16:1:0&payer_status=verified&business=************&address_country=United Kingdom&address_city=*****&quantity=1&verify_sign=AYaVqKDf76ICR5cptlkJRwCjzrXFAEqAD24eXOOh1pwhCAcBInA3vZjQ&payer_email=*************&txn_id=0DL99029PM466174V&payment_type=instant&payer_business_name=**********&last_name=*********&address_state=********&receiver_email=**************@gmail.com&payment_fee=&receiver_id=W9RUZBGRXJ2TJ&txn_type=web_accept&item_name=1 blog&mc_currency=GBP&item_number=30&residence_country=GB&handling_amount=0.00&transaction_subject=1378411524:69:30:2a6051a7df1facb1d9423b65ae936b16:1:0&payment_gross=&shipping=0.00&ipn_track_id=8b7ee4c26771c

• Aaron

further to attempting to resolve it, i tried creating a free subsciption and paid. user was able to sign up to paid, and it updated access level and subscription. i made the free subscription finite for 1 day.

trying to upgrade to paid option, button is visible and takes me to paypal, but when trying to pay i get this message

We are unable to modify your subscription. This may be because your existing subscription calls for no more payments to be made or because it has been cancelled or completed.

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for the extra info and sorry about the delay.

I need to have a closer look here.

Can you please send me your login details via our secure contact form ?

1: Mark the email to my attention

Attn: PC

2: Include a link of this thread in the email

3: Include FTP and WordPress super admin details.

4: While filling the form, select "I have a different question" from the list.

Looking forward for a response on this.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.