Coupon Invoice Stripe

When a coupon is applied. The invoice doesn't state much about it's usage in the plugin section. As an example: If you're using a coupon code the invoice incorrectly states that that is how much you will be paying per period for Stripe. Rather than saying that you will pay the discounted rate for the first time and after that the full amount.

It would be better if the invoice is worded better, when coupons are applied.

• Nithin

Hello @d@info57396,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I could notice what you have mentioned when it comes to implementing coupons. I'm bringing this into the developers attention, so that he would consider in providing more clarity in the invoice section for the membership plugin regarding coupons.

Thanks for bringing into our attention. Have a great weekend ahead. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• David @ BBS

Thanks.

I've had a couple more observations for places where it would be helpful to clarify information.

When paying with Stripe, the StripeCheckout modal incorrectly shows "USD 4.90 (every day)" rather than clarifying the payment info with coupon details (like "USD 4.90 first time and then USD 7 each day").

And also, the final payment button in the StripeCheckout modal says "Pay $7.00" (the full amount). Which may be confusing to some customers who want to make sure that their coupon code will get applied. It may make more sense to replace this amount with the discounted amount. Or replace it with the word "Subscribe" without {{amount}}?

Finally, to make matters more confusing, the initial invoice that gets created (and is then visible as paid in the user's account) also references the full amount of $7.00 having been paid (although the Stripe CC charge was the correct $4.90). The invoice should be updated to say $4.90 was charged with the coupon for that first payment.

On a side note, when using Coupons it seems like the following two warnings are generated by Stripe Checkout:

[Warning] StripeCheckout.configure: Unrecognized option 'data-duration'. (checkout.js, line 2)
    You can learn about the available configuration options in the Checkout docs:
    https://stripe.com/docs/checkout
    [Warning] StripeCheckout.configure: Unrecognized option 'data-amount_off'. (checkout.js, line 2)
    You can learn about the available configuration options in the Checkout docs:
    https://stripe.com/docs/checkout

I know these are just warnings and not fatal errors, but figured I'd point them out.

Best regards!
    David

• David @ BBS

Actually, upon further testing realized that there's more to this part:
    Finally, to make matters more confusing, the initial invoice that gets created (and is then visible as paid in the user's account) also references the full amount of $7.00 having been paid (although the Stripe CC charge was the correct $4.90). The invoice should be updated to say $4.90 was charged with the coupon for that first payment.

So to clarify: the Coupon is setup to give a 30% discount on the first invoice.

Looks like if the user has never subscribed to this membership, their invoice correctly shows $4.90. And the Stripe payment is $4.90.

However if the user is renewing a subscription they previously were a part of, applying the coupon (which was also previously used) correctly doesn't process on the actual invoice, so the invoice correctly shows the full amount of $7.00. However the Stripe payment is incorrectly allowed to process that coupon again. So although the invoice on our site shows that the user paid $7.00, Stripe actually processed the coupon again and charged $4.90.

This is wrong behavior. If a coupon was previously used, the renewal should not allow for the coupon to be re-applied in the Stripe API call. Otherwise we may get users canceling memberships and renewing them every month, just to get the same coupon over and over again.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello David,

Thanks for the additional information. I've tested that and I got same results with coupons and invoices on the first time. I'm adding this information for the task for developers.

However if the user is renewing a subscription they previously were a part of, applying the coupon (which was also previously used) correctly doesn't process on the actual invoice, so the invoice correctly shows the full amount of $7.00.

Can you give me more information on how to replicate this? Was the subscription cancelled before renewing? I'm asking because I tested cancelling and I got the same result like in the first time when member paid for subscription and it was showing for me that Coupon was applied on invoice as well.

Let me know.

kind regards,
    Kasia