Course Instructor's Can't "Manage Course"

My Course Instructors can no longer manage their course. When they click on the "Manage Course" button, they get the following error message:

"Cannot load course_details."

But, when they go directly to "wp-admin" they can access their course area. Already tried "debug" mode, no error was present. Already tried deactivating certain plugins also, that did not work. Issue has been present for at least 1 week. Cause is unknown. Access has already been granted in case you want to take a look.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, F. Zaria!

Happy Friday! Sorry to hear CoursePress isn't behaving itself for you.

I just tested this on my own site with a few different instructors, but I can't replicate what you're seeing. All my instructors can manage their courses from the front and back end.

I am using the default CoursePress theme, have you checked your theme to see if it might be causing the issue?

Do you recall anything happening around the same time this stopped working? Did you update CoursePress, your theme, or WordPress itself? Maybe other plugins? (JetPack and BuddyPress have both had recent big releases.)

Thanks!

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi F. Zaria,

Thank you for your reply.

I logged in to your site using support staff access and found on clicking the "Manage Course" button i am getting redirected to that course edit screen in the admin area of your site without any issue as displayed in the attached screenshots.

Is this happening with any specific Instructor?

I searched the error message "Cannot load course_details." in the CoursePress Pro plugin code but didn't find it so i think the CoursePress plugin is not generating this error message.

Can you please try temporary enabling WP_DEBUG mode? To do this, just go to wp-config.php include this:

define('WP_DEBUG',true);

You might already have a line for WP_DEBUG, so just make sure it's set to true.

For information on this, checkout this wpmu.org article.

Let me know what additional errors if any you are getting when you face this issue by sharing it here as it is.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Zaria,

Happy Holidays to you!

I went to check this out, but I'm not seeing your credentials in the email you sent Vinod. Would you mind granting support access? Then we can take a closer look :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back Zaria!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi F. Zaria,

Thank you for sending me the instructor names.

I logged in to your site using support staff access and found both of these instructors are having contributor user role and Instructor Capability as "Granted Instructor Capabilities" so i have tested on my test site creating a instructor having contributor user role and the same settings as your but i couldn't reproduce the same issue.

I have tested it on Firefox browser.

Could you please send me the log in details of any of the instructors that are having this problem by sending it though mail same as you sent their user names so that i can troubleshoot the issue?

If it's not possible then could you please create a test instructor having this problem by configuring its settings same as above two instructors?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• FZCU
      • The Incredible Code Injector

Vinod:

I just sent you the username and password of 1 of the instructors. I also re-enabled the dashboard access for you guys. By the way, I switched the Instructors from Contributors to Subscribers, and that did not change anything. The issue still persisted. Let me know if you need anything else.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi F. Zaria,

Thanks for sending me the instructor details.

I could confirm the issue for that instructor on your site as displayed in the attached screenshot. It's also occurring on the Google Chrome for me.

I can see the issue is also occurring when i try to edit the course on the following page using the sent instructor account.

https://yoursite.com/courses/wp-admin/admin.php?page=courses

I tried to reproduce the issue on my test site using the same settings that you have but i couldn't reproduce it.

As this issue only occurring with the above two instructors so could you please try deleting those instructors user accounts from your site and recreating it?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Zaria,

Hope you're doing well today!

I've just tested this out on my install as well and I can't reproduce the issue either.

Have you tried deactivating all other plugins to ensure there isn't a plugin conflict? That is the most likely cause of an issue like this - especially when it isn't happening to others.

There is also an update available for CoursePress. try upgrading to 1.2.3.8 if you haven't already.

Lastly, try revoking then regranting instructor capabilities to the users via their wp-admin profiles :slight_smile:

Hope that helps. Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• FZCU

Tyler,

I do not see how you guys are not reproducing these issues with your plugins. I don't think that these issues are unique to my server alone. In addition, I should mention that 2 of our Courses spontaneously disappeared. There used to be 5 courses in the list. Now, there are only 2

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, F!

We just did a major update with CoursePress, I did actually see a similar issue with another member in a different thread this past week, and I believe the update fixed everything. Can you try updating to the latest version and see if any or all of these issues resolve?

Thanks so much.

• FZCU

Michelle:

Hi! I am glad that you are familiar with the issue I described. Unfortunately, I am running the latest version of Coursepress and it is still not working. The courses are still missing. I sent Bojan ftp details to help you guys work on this.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey F!

I was getting a 404 error on the courses that are showing up, a permalink save got those back. I am still only seeing two courses in your list, however.

I'm going to escalate this to second level, because we've already been digging for so long without finding the key here. I'll pass the FTP info on to the SLS team, so they can jump right in.

I'm seeing another issue on your site, would you mind confirming it for me? All the WPMU DEV dashboard pages are hidden halfway under your admin area, and the updates page is white screening for me. Is this new? Are you seeing this as well? I also noticed that when I try to go to Course Categories, I'm getting the "cheatin' eh?" error message.

You've got the patience of Job, F.

• FZCU

Michelle:

Hi, it would be great it if you guys could get those older courses back, as it would take too much time to reupload them again. The repository backups each website 2x daily, so maybe you can restore the courses from either the database or the plugin files? Your team should be able to access the repository through FTP. Let me know if there are any issues.

I'm seeing another issue on your site, would you mind confirming it for me? All the WPMU DEV dashboard pages are hidden halfway under your admin area, and the updates page is white screening for me. Is this new? Are you seeing this as well? I also noticed that when I try to go to Course Categories, I'm getting the "cheatin' eh?" error message.

Yes, this is being caused by the plugin, WP Shapere, which I used to give the backend a different feel. You are welcome to deactivate/reactivate it as much as you like during the course of determining the solution to the issue at hand.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Thanks, F!

I passed on your details to SLS, I think they're both off today, but you should hear something soon.

Thanks for the update on the plugin! I was afraid we'd uncovered a whole different nest of trouble. Glad to know you're already on top of it.

Take care, F, and have a great rest of your Sunday.

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi there,

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the delay.

Can you please re-enable the admin access, so I can check the role?

Usually, this issue is because the Instructor doesn't have enough permission to access a page. Also, can you please upgrade to newest version? This come with many bug fixes too :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @ F. Zaria,

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the delay.

I only see staff access enabled for the site http://black***.com. I've checked WordPress core code, which output that error, I think I will need ftp information too.

Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• FZCU

Hoang,

Hi! You could not login because you were late. Access expires in 72 hours, remember? I enabled access on the 9th, so it expired on the 12th. I just re-enabled access on the site. It will expire on the 18th.

Cheers!

• Ivan
    • HummingBird

Hey F.Zaria,

While Hoang is figuring out this, can you increase your memory limit and check Marko post here.

I know the reasons seems unrelated, but still it might helps.
    How to increase the memory limit also is explained in the same thread.

Thanks,
    Ivan

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @F. Zaria,

I hope you are well today and I do sorry for the delay :slight_frown:.

Do you still require any further assistance here? I will put this ticket as priority now and we will sort it ASAP.

I'm sorry again for the delay, and many thanks for your patience here.

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.