Course Plug-in - Putting Tabs Where I Want Them

Hi there.

I downloaded the CoursePress Pro plug in.

I want the various tabs to be in a location of my choosing, so I have added them to the main menu.

The trouble is (BuddyFun is my theme) that it insists on adding a Courses and Dashboard (with 2 subtabs) and a LogIn/Out tab on the #2 Menu (at the top of the page).

I can't seem to remove them - and I don't want them there.

I want them appearing under our Learning Centre on the Main Tab Bar.

1. How do I make them appear where I want them and NOT in other places.

1.1 Do I amend the slug from "https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/ courses" to "https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/ learning-centre/online courses"

Is the intention that you use this slug to identify the spot you want the page to appear. (eg I added /learning-centre/course-topics/ to all of them but it didn't make them appear where I wanted them or get rid of them appearing in Menu #2 so I removed that.)

2. Can I change "courses" to "e-courses" or "online courses"as we have other Face 2 Face courses and it needs to be clear these new ones are online courses.

Thanks.

Karen

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

Hope you're doing well today! Thanks for your questions.

1. How do I make them appear where I want them and NOT in other places.

You can remove those menu items in the coursepress options :slight_smile:

Navigate to:

CoursePress Pro > Settings > General. Then scroll down to "Theme Menu Items" and uncheck that box. screenshot attached.

Now you can add the items manually as you wish to your Appearance > Menu. Just use the "Links" to manually add the slug.

Is the intention that you use this slug to identify the spot you want the page to appear. (eg I added /learning-centre/course-topics/ to all of them but it didn't make them appear where I wanted them or get rid of them appearing in Menu #2 so I removed that.)

Yes, the slugs are the virtual pages where all those pages will be. To add menu items for them just create a "Link" menu item and place the slug in there.

2. Can I change "courses" to "e-courses" or "online courses"as we have other Face 2 Face courses and it needs to be clear these new ones are online courses.

You can change the slugs to be anything you like :slight_smile: Doesn't have to be Courses.

Is there anywhere else you are seeing Courses that you would like to change?

Also, I notice you are currently on 1.0.7. We just released verison 1.1 that you can upgrade too now :slight_smile:

Hope this helps Karen!

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Many thanks for all that.

I have unchecked the menu items.

I am a bit confused by the Links and slugs conversation.

Yes, the slugs are the virtual pages where all those pages will be. To add menu items for them just create a "Link" menu item and place the slug in there.

OK, so I go to Appearances>Menu and "Links" and what do I put in there?

Do I make sure that what appears in Settings for the CoursePro plugin is the SAME as what I put as the URL in the Links AND THEN I give it a name I want it to have???

So for an /e-courses page to appear (which would be the page the plugin automatically creates as domain.com.au/courses) I would put https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/course-topics/e-courses AND I would put that SAME URL in the Settings page for the plugin? AND the Link would be e-courses???

...or do I just leave the names as the PLUGIN has them and THEN use that URL and just give it the tab name I want and add the TAB name to the menu where I want it to appear.
    (Basically this means that I do NOT have to add the /learning-centre/course-topics/ to all the settings. Is that correct?)

I seem to have accidentally done the latter anyway yesterday when I was fiddling around.

Please advise.

Thanks.
    Karen

• Michelle Shull

Hi Karen!

Actually, I think you want to do this in the opposite order. Go to the slugs settings for CoursePress first, save the slugs you want to change, then resave your permalinks.

Now, go to menu and add the links that match your new slugs.

That's the easiest route, and the one that will let WP and CoursePress do most of the work for you. : ) I attached a screenshot of the slug settings below.